Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read some of those articles.
What's with all these people saying it's fiction and some even going as far to say they don't think they died!!!!

Well I guess since no one was actually there with them most of the movie is kind of made up, but the important part wasn't.

They were left behind by a boat in the middle of the ocean and they're missing. What the hell do you think happened?

Top question...where to begin? I believe the film is based on the tragic deaths of Thomas and Eileen Lonergan who went missing in 1998 whilst on holiday in Australia .
That said, I am also lead to believe they were diving from a boat called ´Outer Edge´ on a site called, St Crispins Reef.

The coroner´s conclusion...´ They died at sea due to drowning or shark attack´. This possibly being based on pieces of their diving equipment which was later found.

There are a few known facts or events which have lead to this movie, " Open Water ", being made...the names of the victims, where they were diving and with whom they were diving. No one is 100% sure of the cause of death.

¿ My first response is not, how or why this may ´hurt´the industry, but how or why the industry allowed this to happen ?

openwater_2.jpg

She's cute right?
openwater_3.jpg

Of course it will damage the industry to a certain degree. Just from seeing the trailers I had students in my most recent class concerned about this stuff.

I do not think this film will hurt the diving industry. Every gear intensive sport has films and documentaries depicting one thing or the other...12 deaths on Everest in '96. How about rock climbing...the climber having to cut his own hand off to free himself while climbing alone and without a buddy. Stories abound about this or that.

The bottom line...know yourself, know your skill level, dive with a buddy and work with a reputable dive operator that assigns numbers before anyone makes a giant stride.

It is true that their are cavalier divers and cavalier boat captains...so always, always check, double check, hook up your own gear, plan your dive and dive your plan. If the boat captain or dive operator looks too 'fly by night'...unprofessional...go seek out another one that will service you better. Money talks and BS walks.

What about the diver lost off of the CA coast that was abandoned, drifting for 5 hours when he was discovered by a sailing ship full of boy scouts...and this is recent.

The film will probably get a good video run.

scubadiverjunkie:
In my opinion - this movie will hurt the industry by sending the wrong message to people who are thinking about getting certified. But that's just my opinion - what does everyone else think?

http://movies.go.com/movies/O/openwater_2004/index.html

Define "hurt the industry." Might there be fewer people signing up for OW classes because of it? Possibly. Do I define that as hurting the industry? No. Quite simply, when it comes to people who would let this movie dissuade them from learning to dive, I'd rather they not dive. I go diving to get away from such people. I don't think anyone besides those who profit from their entry level certification, and those who babysit people who shouldn't be in the water to begin with, will lose a dime because such people don't dive. It's been my observation that such people do not spend much on equipment, typically renting at their destination, or on continuuing education, since all that gets them is the opportunity to take more responsibility for themselves underwater.

So last night while I couldn't sleep cause I was thinking of diving this coming weekend, I couldn't help but think to positive aspects of this movie.

I bet a lot of people will end up buying a FindFast unit and dive housing because of it.... So did it hurt or help the industry then?

Hell If I was the maker of FindFast, I would sponser the darn film.

I wonder what kind of effect it will have on Stuart Cove's shark dive bookings, or on my darling wife scbababe, who called a dive Sunday on the count of unconfirmed reports of an "8' bull shark" lurking where we were going to dive :D

All I can say is make sure your dive charter has your names on the roster, if they don't have a roster look for someone else.
If this movie scares folks off I guess all those beautifull unvisted dive sites are just going to remain beautifull unvisited dive sites.

Ooooo... I'm now scared. I think I'll quit diving!

N O T !

The people that this turns off and do not get certified deserve to not be certified. Keep out the weak and stupid.

Leaving divers behind by an operator here in Thailand has happened. When you are on a dive boat make sure that they have a clipboard and cross people off after each dive to make sure they have everyone.

Even then people will mess with you. I heard of one couple who came back from the dive, were check off then they snuck off the boat to the shore for some personal time together. They got left on the island when the boat moved.

As for sharks I was doing a deco sequence a few months back when a tiger shark decided to do a few passes. before this happened four tiny fish appeared and positioned themselves in the middle of our little group. We were wondering what they were doing when we saw the shark. Smart fish, they stayed with us the whole time until we got back to the boat.

Back
Top Bottom