Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
Define "hurt the industry." Might there be fewer people signing up for OW classes because of it? Possibly. Do I define that as hurting the industry? No. Quite simply, when it comes to people who would let this movie dissuade them from learning to dive, I'd rather they not dive. I go diving to get away from such people. I don't think anyone besides those who profit from their entry level certification, and those who babysit people who shouldn't be in the water to begin with, will lose a dime because such people don't dive. It's been my observation that such people do not spend much on equipment, typically renting at their destination, or on continuuing education, since all that gets them is the opportunity to take more responsibility for themselves underwater.

I wonder if this is the attitude all people have as they take to the ocean for their very first certification. Did everyone feel this way on dive #1. Hmmmm.....I wonder why JAWS had such an adverse effect on water sports when it was released back in the day. Maybe those people shouldn't have been in the water either.

People in the land under don't seem to feel as "confident" as that.

But that's just my opinion.....

jhelmuth:
Ooooo... I'm now scared. I think I'll quit diving!

N O T !

The people that this turns off and do not get certified deserve to not be certified. Keep out the weak and stupid.

AMEN!!!!!

scubadiverjunkie:
I wonder if this is the attitude all people have as they take to the ocean for their very first certification. Did everyone feel this way on dive #1. Hmmmm.....I wonder why JAWS had such an adverse effect on water sports when it was released back in the day. Maybe those people shouldn't have been in the water either.

No, they shouldn't have been. If you make a thorough study of shark attack statistics, and they warrant more caution, and you act accordingly, that's being smart. Seeing a scary movie, and deciding to stay out of the ocean, that's just stupid. That's like refusing to go out after dark because of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or avoiding NYC because of "Die Hard 3."

scubadiverjunkie:

People in the land under don't seem to feel as "confident" as that.

But that's just my opinion.....
i know at least one of my buddies did. But he spent a lot of time in the water growing up and surfed for years before getting his cert.

He said he always had that what if there's shark here feeling in the back of his mind for years after seeing Jaws.

But he's also been paranoid of getting bent since reading Last Dive, even though all of our dives are relatively shallow non-decompression dives!!!

Have you guys even watched the trailers? This movie looks like is going to really suck anyway. I don't think it will hurt the dive industry, maybe the movie industry for releasing another lame movie.

MikeFerrara:
I don't know...lots of sailors have been killed by sharks after their ship was sunk. Sharks are also sometimes a problem for divers doing decompression in OW.

Sharks can bite and sometimes they do. LOL

Yes, Mike,

I have to really agree with you on this one. One can get attacked by a large fish....and it does not necessarily have to be a shark. We should never take for granted that these predatory animals are going to behave in a predictable manner 100 percent of the time. Yep, right on, Mike.

Regards,

scubadiverjunkie:
In my opinion - this movie will hurt the industry by sending the wrong message to people who are thinking about getting certified. But that's just my opinion - what does everyone else think?

http://movies.go.com/movies/O/openwater_2004/index.html

The industry is doing a fine job of hurting itself, so the impact of this movie should be negligible.

From the Chicago Tribune, 6-2-04 Written by Erin Ailworth

"The film is based on actual accounts, that were read in dive magazines, by Laura Lau (film producer) & her husband, Chris Kentis (writer & producer) Who say they have been recreational divers for 11 years. These 2 say they have tried to make the movie as real as possible, w/out villainizing the sharks. The camera stays on the surface of the water, because they say 'What you can't see is more scary.' There are no mechanical monsters or computer-generated images. Kentis said he saddened by how often even the simplest things in movies are now computer generated. This movie is considered a 'questionary tale.' It was filmed in the Bahamas with a digital camera for about $300,000 "

I saw the trailer f/ this movie at the theater this past weekend. My first impression was: 'What a stupid waste of time.' My b/f sister (non-diver) was with us and she thought it was going to be this great thriller. When I didn't agree with her, she quicky pointed out that it was based on a true story. Maybe, maybe not. IMHO I think it might be more fiction than fact. And I think it's going to suck. All it will probably do is reinforce the misconceptions the non-divers already have about diving. The diving community will probably find it laughable. I don't think I'd even spend my time on it when it goes to the Discovery Channel.

If this movie turns just 1 person away from joining the diving community, then this film has had a negative impact of Scuba Diving.

All that aside, it can't be nice for those who were friends or loved ones of the people who truly did die. I can't understand how they can say it is based on a true story when there is no one to account for what happened in real life.

Back
Top Bottom