Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
I've been hearing great things about this new independent thriller "Open Water" about a married diving couple that get's left behind on a dive trip. It got great reviews at Sundance and should be screening around the country soon. Anyone get a chance to see an advanced screening?

yawn

I'm not sure how you could make a 2 hour movie out of that.

There are 2 official site for the movie is http://openwaterfilm.com/ and
http://www.openwatermovie.com/
there is more info at IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374102

And you are right chrpai, the move is only 79 minutes acording to IMDB. I figure it takes 20 minutes to setup the story about who the people are and getting on the boat, 10-20 minutes of diving, the rest must be them lost and the captain finally realizing they were gone 24 hours later.

My first thought was "The scenery could sure get old fast!" LOL

Thanks for the additional links TTSKipper.

Yawn...all the great diving stories and they pick this?

I just found another official website and added it above. Apparently one is by the makers of the film and one is the distributors (Lion's Gate). I read the reviews ont eh Lion's Gate site and found out that because this was an indy film adn they had no money rather than get a mechanical shark they went 18 miles off the bahamas and put chum in the water to bring up real sharks. The 2 people in the water were regular actors without insurance and wore chainmail under there wetsuits. The girl got bitten on her hand the 1st day of shooting by a barracuda and kept filming.

I am not sure if it is pretty cool that the guy who wrote/directed the movie did it this way or just stupid.

I do not know for sure but there were two American divers left behind by an Australia dive operation on the Great Barrier reef in January of 1998. The link below gives a prettry good overview of the incident.

The Loss of Two Divers at Sea - Great Barrier Reef

This situation also occurred in Florida in September 2003. That is probably too recent for Hollywood to make a movie.

Keys Diver lost

I would hate to be in that position! This is one movie I definitely not take my wife to see.

Don't let my kids Mom see this either................

chrpai:
yawn

I'm not sure how you could make a 2 hour movie out of that.

I agree. 2 divers just floating around... I also saw the trailer. They don't seem like the best actors out there either...
Still wanna see it though. :p hehe

Ramón.

Back
Top Bottom