Open Water the MOVIE...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA Diver:
I do not know for sure but there were two American divers left behind by an Australia dive operation on the Great Barrier reef in January of 1998. The link below gives a prettry good overview of the incident.

What was really interesting is a show where they investigated the truth behind the story. Did the couple get left behind or did they plan to disappear, escape debt and create a new identity and life. Can't remember the name of the show but it was one of those investigative news shows. Lots of evidence leading to a planned disappearance.

Paula

I can't get it to play. It starts and then stops and never advances.

When I was diving the Great Barrier Reef a few years ago I heard that these two divers were left behind because of the post-dive check-in system which just counted the number of divers who went out and the number who returned. I was told that two divers returned from their dive, then jumped back in near the bow and were counted twice. Therefore the number of divers counted in equaled the number counted out of the water.

When I was diving, my op used a name system so divers were checked in and out by name. That way they were "certain" no one was left behind (although I wanted to be!).

Dr. Bill

*yawn*

Is there some way to speed that shockwave flash thing up? I don't have all day to wait for the title to "materialize", so I closed the window. If the movie is going to be that slow I'm not watching it.

diver_paula:
What was really interesting is a show where they investigated the truth behind the story. Did the couple get left behind or did they plan to disappear, escape debt and create a new identity and life. Can't remember the name of the show but it was one of those investigative news shows. Lots of evidence leading to a planned disappearance.

Paula

This I would have liked to have seen. Sounds interesting. Seems like some evidence would show up somewhere if they died. Seems like they should stay afloat long enough to wash ashore with BCs aired up, unless something punctured them both, which seems unlikely.

Thanks for the links CA Diver. It's strange this has happened at least twice!

i wish this was out already so i could get my freind to see it before he gets his ow cert, he starts in a week...... lol this would make getting his cert funny. give him something to think about..lol

Looks like we've got a new diving movie for the first bad-weather weekend after April 20th. I've been hearing rumors about an indie film about divers abandoned at sea, and finally located a review.

Sounds like a feel-good movie for the entire family. Take the kiddies to it after they've seen the second Kill Bill...

http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php?id=2177

GrierHPharmD:
Looks like we've got a new diving movie for the first bad-weather weekend after April 20th. I've been hearing rumors about an indie film about divers abandoned at sea, and finally located a review.

Sounds like a feel-good movie for the entire family. Take the kiddies to it after they've seen the second Kill Bill...

http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php?id=2177

It's August not April.
'OPEN WATER debuts in New York and Los Angeles August 6 before going nationwide on the 20th—and the fact that it’s hitting theaters late in the summer is something for which the diving/tourism industry can only be grateful.'

I stand corrected. Maybe a long fall and winter will help wash away the fear before next season.

-G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom