Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scrap,

I very much recommend the Halcyon Eclipse for single tank diving (cold or warm water). I have the 30 lbs bladder with alu plate. It travels super well, and when you wear it you do not even feel like it is there.
I have found it plenty of lift even for dry suit. Many people try and oversell you lift capability. Just get what you need.
The Eclipse is beautifully made, the harness is excellent, the plate is a great fit and the MC plate cover is a nice add-on that comes with every MC system.

Thatcher B:
I think that you should not go wit Hog or DIR, The idea behind them are good, with contuinous hareness but at the same time they are hard to get in and out of.

I cannot agree here.
The Halcyon harness is VERY easy to get into and out of, even with a dry suit and several gauges hanging already on the arms. I found that between diving dry and wet (5mm) I needed NO adjustment of the harness. It just seems to adjust to you.
The drag is minimal compared to my previous BC and I see no need for quick release buckles (in my view defeats the purpose of a harness) nor a ball on my rear dump valve. The O-rings are placeable anywhere and once you set it up for you it is made to measure.

I do not follow every last rule of DIR but have found my diving incredibly enriched through the DIR concept. It makes a lot of sense. And if used as a system (i.e. incorporating the majority of concepts) it works very well.

I recently switched to long hose, although I was reluctant at first. It works in both cold and warm water and gives you excellent control in out of air situations.

The Halcyon line is modular, so you can get double tank adaptors or later get another wing (i.e. the Evolve) to go with your plate, harness and tank adapter.
The harness ships with rubber rings on the straps to tuck them away neatly that so far have been indistructable and the metal inflator is v. well designed. Their updated version that is shipping, as far as I read, is very reliable, and for me it has been and gives excellent control.

You will not be disappointed with the Halcyon Eclipse or Evolve system.

Try not to chose sides in the DIR pro/con war. Just try and see what of the DIR can be useful to you.

The reason I went with Halcyon is that I wanted to get away from the "all-features packed ultimate lift and extras" BC to simplicity and functionality itself. If this is what you want, I would hesitate to then end up going for the ultimate feature-packed harness with all extras and stick to the original plan to go for simplicity and functionality.

To me the halcyon does everything a BC does better than what I have ever had or can immagine I nead.

All the best for you choice and diving!
Alex

PS. I am not a salesperson for Halcyon. I just really think this BP/W is the best gear I got (along with my Salvo HID :) ).

I don't know how you're built, but I'm very thick from front to back (from my plate to the front of my shoulder is about 7.5"). This makes my harness go from the front of my shoulder, almost straight down to my lower back, the strap is just inches below my arm pit. The only place on my harness that I could put a quick disconnect in a shoulder strap would be right where my left chest D-ring is. That seems to be why the quick-disconnect harnesses also utilize a strap and clip across the chest. That would bring more of the flat portion to the front of you. I hate that chest strap...

Again, I don't know about your experiences, but with my old vest, I was always searching for my commerbund, or the belly band buckle, or a chest strap. Now I have one buckle, it's big and stainless steel and hangs to my left. When I reach down and grab it, I'm geared up. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as it looks. I find my BP/w with hog harness far easier to don that my old vest with all of the quick release buckles, and doff'ing just takes a chicken wing manuever. That might be in part because I am so thick from front to back. There is a large V shaped opening of webbing from my shoulder to the lower attachment point. On a smaller person, that V opening would be alot smaller and possibly more difficult to manage. I hadn't thought of that till just now.

Good luck, it took me a month to make a decision on the harness and manufacturer, even after making the decision to buy a BP/W! :)
Jason

The shoulder disconnect gives you a failure point. Depending on the type of diving you plan on doing, this may or may not be okay. It you truly need more room to get in and out of a hog harness, you can always add a foot or so to one of the shoulder straps. Slide a quick release on that side and put the 2 sides about a foot or so apart. You can then fold the extra length underneath and clip the QR. This gives you more room and eliminates the failure point.

I've used two different harnesses with the quick release. I'm not going into specifics about the brands, but I will say after diving them, one more than 100 times, I wouldn't recommend either.

It has nothing to do with the quick releases failing. It is the material of the webbing that I have an issue. In order to make these more comfortable for "recreational" divers, the webbing used is softer. It twists very easily during donning and doffing. In general it's a PITA.

I switched to the one piece HOG harness which is heavier weight than the others. Love it and one won't go back.

Be realistic, you're not going to dive a BP/W without exposure protection of some kind. You don't need all that fancy padding and softer material. Also, on the average recreational dive, you'll not be carrying your rig very far before you enter the water.

I actually checked out the OMS today and am very sold, i love the iq and the XL fits me perfect but the guys here locally ae taling about $700 for the rig ith bladder, plate and harness!!!! im trying to be at 500 or less.

Still hunting.

Stephen Ash:
Scrappy... if you are interested in the Apeks, we carry them at our shop... Scuba Specialties on West Bell.

Scubajcf uses this one as do many of our staff.

If you are interested in trying one on, I'd suggest calling first. Sometimes we don't have them in stock. You could ask Scubajcf if you could try on one of his. Send him a pm. He goes to the lake quite often. Maybe you could meet up and try one out.

Like Peronne above, the Apeks isn't my favorite, either. But... the folks that have them at our shop seem to really like theirs.

We also carry Agir and OMS... You might like the OMS with the comfort harness/quick release. This is one of the best rigs available. The Agir is a bit more esoteric but is one of the cleanest DIR BP/wing rigs made. It makes for a great nucleus for a pure Hog rig.

I'd suggest that you slow down and take time to think this through. There are some nuances to consider before making a purchase.

Also... unless you plan to buy used it may very well cost more than the 500 you mentioned above.

PerroneFord:
No one suggested it because we're not impressed by it. The wing is not as robust as the other options here, and it's more expensive. It's a nice first effort by a regulator company, but other people are doing it better for less money.

On this link I posted earlier click on "products", then "bouyancy control" then "WTX SS back plate" and "WTX3 bouyancy cell". "WTX harness" is something else I have no experience with. The plate and wing are very cool and a breeze to dive.

scrapdizzy: I got mine at NWSD. Can't say enough good things about the setup and the shop :)

scrapdizzy:
I actually checked out the OMS today and am very sold, i love the iq and the XL fits me perfect but the guys here locally ae taling about $700 for the rig ith bladder, plate and harness!!!! im trying to be at 500 or less.

I got my apex setup (webbing for harness, plate, wing, STA, D-rings and weight pouches) for $630. Take the STA and the pouches off and the price drops to $480 + cam straps ($60) and tax. (your shop may charge differently).

Just my $0.02

scrapdizzy:

Still hunting.

If you really want to keep it down to $500, I think your going to have to look for a very basic set up... Most BP & Harnesses with a single tank adaptor can be had from around $140 to $250 and most wings for a single tank are under the $300 range.
The Lowest price I can find:

Hammerhead Aluminum Back Plate
Single tank adaptor
Harness with rigging
Brand name wing for a single tank configuration
all for $470 (without shipping costs)

Or the sky's the limit :wink:

scrapdizzy:

Still hunting.

Wings are usually in the $300 range. A SS plate is going to run you around $150 for the weight you'll need. The only harness you'll be able to find for $50 is a hog. Most harnesses, like the OMS run in the $200 range. I have one that I use when I teach. It works for that purpose, but I still like my hog better.

Quarrior:
Be realistic, you're not going to dive a BP/W without exposure protection of some kind. You don't need all that fancy padding and softer material. Also, on the average recreational dive, you'll not be carrying your rig very far before you enter the water.

I am planning a switch to BP/W in the near future.
This is for warm water diving where up to now all I would wear would be a dive skin. It is a requirement for the training that I will be doing next.
I am worried about a few things.
Comfort, from all the reports this seems to be Ok.
Buoyancy, This is a worry, twin steel tanks seem to be very negative and I will have no wet or dry suit to combat this with.
Turtle, this is new, I will need to learn what to do about this problem when I try doubles for the first time.

victor:
I am planning a switch to BP/W in the near future.
This is for warm water diving where up to now all I would wear would be a dive skin. It is a requirement for the training that I will be doing next.
I am worried about a few things.
Comfort, from all the reports this seems to be Ok.
Buoyancy, This is a worry, twin steel tanks seem to be very negative and I will have no wet or dry suit to combat this with.
Turtle, this is new, I will need to learn what to do about this problem when I try doubles for the first time.
Let's see if I can help a bit.

Comfort, like you said, should be ok. Once you're in the water you won't even notice it's there.

Bouyancy, get a dual bladder wing. This is not a matter of bouyancy control, this is a matter of safety. Like you said, doubles are negative and since you will not have a dry-suit, you need a dual bladder wing.

Turtle, once you get the harness adjusted correctly this problem will cure itself. I learned it the hard way. You'd be amazed at how well you can swim upside down though. LOL Basically what happens is if the harness is to loose the tanks will pull you into a belly up attitude.

Don't worry much though, all comes out with practice. If you need some doubles regs, I'm selling mine since I'm moving to Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom