Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Remember these are modular units. The Backplate is the "spine" of the system. All wings need it. But you can buy the wing seperately. This is useful if you ever want to dive a larger tank, or wear more gear, or go to double tanks. rather than buy a new BC, you simple remove two screws, pull the plate off the wing, change the wing, and put the plate back on with two screws. You don't even need to make any adjustments since the plate and webbing are already sized to fit YOU.

right but im looking at the O Pac and A pack from Oxychecque...does it still need a backplate or is this their "BC" type setup that defeats what im looking for?

scrapdizzy:
or is this their "BC" type setup that defeats what im looking for?

BINGO!

You could get yourself Hammerhead Scuba Rig with your choice of wing from what ever company you like for a good price. My friends tell me that their back plate is well made, I haven't seen one personally though. I don't know anyone out there that would use the cut out handles though.

Anyone out there have one or seen one?

www.hammerheadscuba.com

Whale Whisperer:
You could get yourself Hammerhead Scuba Rig with your choice of wing from what ever company you like for a good price. My friends tell me that their back plate is well made, I haven't seen one personally though. I don't know anyone out there that would use the cut out handles though.

www.hammerheadscuba.com

Never heard of them.

I use Oxycheq wings and a FredT backplate with a Hogarthian harness. ScubaToys sells all the Oxycheq wings. If they don't have it in stock, they'll order it. The Oxycheqs are compact, much easier when travelling than a bc. They also have a travel version. The Hog harness is simple, no padding, but comfortable in the water. I dove a liveaboard in the Bahamas in my bp/w in a rash guard all week. No discomfort at all. Before you buy a bp, make sure you look at the angles of the bends. Some bp's are flatter than others and may make a difference in how they feel on you. As for adding weight, you can get a P weight instead of the weight pockets. It will make you a lot more streamlined because the weight won't be dragging through the water.

Whale Whisperer:

www.hammerheadscuba.com

Both mine and my wife's AL plates are Hammerhead. We love them. Great value. My SS is a FredT and I love that as well. I'd buy from either of them again.

I'm a big guy, 6'1", 290lbs. I love my DSS. I haven't had the opportunity to try too many other back plates, but the plate from DSS that is made for larger people, with longer torsos, kicks total butt! The angles make the whole rig hug your back and brings all of that weight right up next to you. I originally went to a BP/w for the custom fit, modular capabilities, and minimalism. One of the great side effects that I've noticed, is that I'm not nearly as off balance walking on the deck as I was with a vest. With the old vest BC, I was always bent forward to compensate for the tank hanging off of my back. Not so with my DSS rig. The weight is close to my center of gravity, I can walk around just like normal on a pitching boat. A fact not lost on my buddy who, during a recent excursion, lost his balance and went flying across the boat. I was standing there in full gear, fully upright and had no problem. Love that about my BP/w :)

I have heard alot of people mixing and matching, and I'm sure that I could do something like that now that I know a little more about the rig, if I wanted to. However, I don't think I would even still. DSS has a nice rig, a nice package price, it all comes in one box, and your good to go. In regards to your travel concerns, as I eagerly awaited the arrival of my rig, I saw the UPS driver unloading boxes at my office and as I watched, my child-like anticipation dissapeared. None of the boxes he unloaded could have possibly been big enough for the BP/w. It must not have come again today. So I went back to my office, thinking, tomorrow. They called me out to the loading dock to check a box, and I figured it was for a job, none of the boxes I had just seen were big enough. To my surprise, there it was, in a box far smaller than carry-on luggage, my new gear. I had kid at Christmas syndrome for the rest of the day, but everybody gets that :)

The hog harness kicks butt, it'll take you an hour or so to adjust it the first time, but once it's good, it's good. It'll fit you no matter what. As you know, that's saying alot for big guys like us, but my buddy, who laughed at my rig the first time he saw it, now sees just how much more comfortable I am in my rig that he is in his. He's asking alot of questions lately, I think he may come to the BP/w side soon :wink:

Jason

scrapdizzy:
Checked out the Oxycheque on Scubatoys....does it not need a backplate?? I dont see one.

Sorry, I should have explained. When you buy a BP/W, you have the option of getting it completely setup for you (like from DSS or Oxycheq and others), or you can buy a BP and then a wing, harness, camstraps, and options like integrated weight pockets. If you call scubatoys, they can set you up with a bp/w from oxycheq, or you can buy just the wing. You'll save a little vrs buying direct from Oxycheq (I think). Plus, Scubatoys doesn't show everything on their website, so I would call them. But I would call Oxycheq 1st & talk to Patrick, and tell him what you're looking for.

Now I'm not discounting DSS. I would call them also. From my limited (but recent) experience, Oxycheq seems to work more through dealers (like scubatoys), but you can buy direct. That's the main reason their website is more basic. While DSS is more direct sales oriented, but they do have some dealers.

I recently put together my 1st BP/W. Here's what I came up with.

Hammer Head SS BP with heavy STA
DSS Adjustable Harness
Oxycheq Signature wing (45#)
Apex Weight Pockets (I like them, but they require some light fabrication, if you are interested, I'll tell you what I did to make them work for me.)
Basic tank Cam bands from my LDS

I put this together in May, and now my LDS has started carrying BP/W.

Thanks guys!!

One questions. Is there any harness that allows for a "quick release" type at the shoulder? When I tried on that Halcyon the most rememberable part was that it took 2 people to help me get it off! Wheras with my BC I can just release the shoujld strap and slip out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom