Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im wanting to be under $500 but am hearing good things locally about the Halcyon line.

I tried one on and its indeed minimalistic, which is good, I like that. The lack of shoulder padding was odd feeling, is that normal? I would need the front weight pouches as well.

What are some other options other than the Halcyon with the Stainless plate and 35lb wing? And what is it going to run me?

I think I am choosing this route over the Zeagel Brigade at Scubatoys simply because im a big guy and already use about 15% more air than my diving partner so im trying to cut drag as much as possible.

scrapdizzy:
Im wanting to be under $500 but am hearing good things locally about the Halcyon line.

I tried one on and its indeed minimalistic, which is good, I like that. The lack of shoulder padding was odd feeling, is that normal? I would need the front weight pouches as well.

What are some other options other than the Halcyon with the Stainless plate and 35lb wing? And what is it going to run me?

I think I am choosing this route over the Zeagel Brigade at Scubatoys simply because im a big guy and already use about 15% more air than my diving partner so im trying to cut drag as much as possible.
Take a look at www.deepseasupply.com. Best value and quality out there.

i have HALCYON ECLIPSE 30 LB MC SYSTEM W/ S/S BACKPLATE and it ran me $625. Its a great bp. the shoulder strap is not very comfortable but put on a wet suit or a rash guards and youll be fine. Theres looks of cool stuff you can put on but it can be kinda pricy. go to there web site to see what they got and what you need.

OMS 45lb Lift, Stainless Steel Backplate, Single Tank Adaptor, optional OMS IQ Pack

http://www.divers-supply.com/

Offers special discounts to Scubaboard members.

PM me for the price they gave me for my setup

Please call their toll free number to get the discount. Their webpage displays the MSRP only and not the discounted price.

DSS makes some good stuff and I will also recomend them.

If you dont know exaclty what you are looking for:
3 big ones- DiveRite, Halcyon, DSS, Oxycheq

Are you diving singles? If so, don't worry about a single tank adaptor. Buy everything else first and then if you find that you really need it you can spend the 70 bucs later.

As far as your padding goes: It's a bit uncomfortable on the surface if you are not wearing a wetsuit but once you get in its not bad at all. If you are weaking one you wont really notice a difference.

Weight pockets- I bought the XS-Scuba pockets and they work great and were cheap.

Go with the Hog Harness at first, try it out( I dont think you will have a problem with it). It's a lot cheaper and works well, and you can always get something else later if you feel the need.

Dont forget to buy cam bands(Two of 'em). I just have the plastic ones but its up to you on that one... If you feel that you might break the plastic ones and can afford them go with the SS.

Oxycheq 35 was my pick for wing. I think I spent around 400 but i really like my setup and wouldnt go back to jacket. Anymore questions lemme know and ill try and help!

GL!

fishb0y:
Take a look at www.deepseasupply.com. Best value and quality out there.

I second that.

I just ordered a DSS single rig package today. They stand 100% behind its product, and provide an excellent customer service.

Another vote for the DSS rig. Go with the HOG harness, it's infinately adjustable.

Scrap,
While I dive with the Halcyon, Fishb0y always catches me eyeing his DSS, my eclipse is a tad more compact, but his DSS looks like a tough rig......Either way you go
I can see you being happy with your choice.
Jimbo

DSS is top quality, but there are others out there. Oxycheq is comparable, and you should really look at their mach V wing. And scubatoys sells oxycheq. They don't show the mach V wing on their web site, but they do carry it.

One of the nice things about a BP/W setup is you can mix and match if you are careful. So you could get a BP from 1 place & a wing from another, and a harness from another. That's what I ended up doing, and I love my setup. You do have to be careful that your slots in your wing line up will the slots in your backplate. This isn't a problem if you are using an STA.

You might also call Phil at Dive Sports. He has a dive rite transplate setup for about $510 that includes any of the weight pockets.

Here's a thread about the Mach V.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=135362&highlight=mach+5+V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom