Ultralight Travel BP/W Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BentSeaRod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Philosophy of use: Build the lightest bp/w possible for warm water travel diving (single tank) AND be economical.

This is my build and total weight:

Highland dogbone aluminum plate
Halcyon harness with aluminum hardware (no butt D-ring), left side is Ti dive-rite sliding D-ring
XS Scuba clearpath buckle
DGX wing
Dive rite cam straps w/plastic cams
2 DGX trim pockets

Total weight = 4.85 lbs
Total cost ~$500

I was able to get most of the gear through the good folks at Paragon Dive. I handled various Al backplates (H, OMS, Hollis) and various Ti Helium plates and the Highland was the lightest. Aluminum D rings are lighter than Ti. The XS clearpath buckle is super nice, very study, doesnt clank like steel, but only 1 oz lighter than the steel H buckle.

I found a few threads on this prior that were helpful, but actual builds and final weights are few and far between:

From searching this forum and the web, this is the lightest rigid plate rig that I know of, but I would love to have others post up their blueprints and weights as well for future reference!

Attachments

• IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3292.JPG
    IMG_3292.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 138
Trim pockets? Additional cost and weight.
Ordinary webbing available from DGX is also cheaper.
I reduced the travel weight by using soft pack(under 1kg) for luggage. I am in the market looking for a trolley bag weighting less than 2kg. No luck so far in this part of the world.

Philosophy of use: Build the lightest bp/w possible for warm water travel diving (single tank) AND be economical.

This is my build and total weight:

Highland dogbone aluminum plate
Halcyon harness with aluminum hardware (no butt D-ring), left side is Ti dive-rite sliding D-ring
XS Scuba clearpath buckle
DGX wing
Dive rite cam straps w/plastic cams
2 DGX trim pockets

Total weight = 4.85 lbs
Total cost ~$500

I was able to get most of the gear through the good folks at Paragon Dive. I handled various Al backplates (H, OMS, Hollis) and various Ti Helium plates and the Highland was the lightest. Aluminum D rings are lighter than Ti. The XS clearpath buckle is super nice, very study, doesnt clank like steel, but only 1 oz lighter than the steel H buckle.

I found a few threads on this prior that were helpful, but actual builds and final weights are few and far between:

From searching this forum and the web, this is the lightest rig that I know of, but I would love to have others post up their blueprints and weights as well for future reference!
you sir, are my hero! I have very similar needs and I might be able to translate your model into something workable for me. I know nothing of bp&w but your looks possible... Thanks for sharing!

My Pirahna is 5.8 with STA and Dgx wing.

My Helium is 5.5 IIRC. But all metal. No plastic anything.

Gregory makes a nice suitcase. Not too light and weak, not too heavy. The killer is investing or making aluminum tools, instead of steel.

If you're paying top dollar for light rigs, you have to look at your clothes, toiletries, tools, etc. Camera really stings.

Trim pockets? Additional cost and weight.
Ordinary webbing available from DGX is also cheaper.
I reduced the travel weight by using soft pack(under 1kg) for luggage. I am in the market looking for a trolley bag weighting less than 2kg. No luck so far in this part of the world.
Rig has two small DGX trim pockets on a cam band. They are included in the weight. I didnt include in the cost, because i already had them. So add 20$ or whatever they cost.

My Pirahna is 5.8 with STA and Dgx wing.

My Helium is 5.5 IIRC. But all metal. No plastic anything.

Gregory makes a nice suitcase. Not too light and weak, not too heavy. The killer is investing or making aluminum tools, instead of steel.

If you're paying top dollar for light rigs, you have to look at your clothes, toiletries, tools, etc. Camera really stings.

Not to mention a Ti first stage. OUCH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom