Lightest BP/W system for recreational single tank system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy2667

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am now using a Halcyon BP/W single tank system with Aluminium plate. It weight approx 9lb. I want to replace it to a lighter weight system to reduce my travel weight. Want to have the lightest system possible.

I dive in tropical area (Asia) normally with 3mm wet suit. Normal 80L Al tank. Thus not much lift required. I am 75 kg at 169cm height.

What would be lightest possible DSS BP/W system? What is the total weight of this system?

I search old post noting that:
- Med Kydex plate: 1.65lab
- Torus 17lab wing : 2.2lb (lightest wing?)
- Trimmed hardness 1.5lab (include camband and other hardwares?)

Total weight for this system = 5.35lb?

Thanks for the advices.

Hi,

I am now using a Halcyon BP/W single tank system with Aluminium plate. It weight approx 9lb. I want to replace it to a lighter weight system to reduce my travel weight. Want to have the lightest system possible.

I dive in tropical area (Asia) normally with 3mm wet suit. Normal 80L Al tank. Thus not much lift required. I am 75 kg at 169cm height.

What would be lightest possible DSS BP/W system? What is the total weight of this system?

Thanks for the advices.

I'll be at the shop later today, let me verify those weights. You can shave a bit more by going to a plastic waist buckle, and leaving off the butt dring etc.
The weights I provide will be for an untrimmed harness.

Tobin

Check out the apeks or oxycheq soft plates with that and a couple of weight pockets or weight belt you have an ultra light travel rig that wads up to pack. The tank gives the soft backplate it's structure. Either that or a minimalist sidemount kit.

Hi,

Thanks for the advices.

Just put the parts on the scale. Total with an untrimmed harness is a tad over 6 lbs. I'd guess you estimate with a trimmed harness, no butt dring and a plastic waist buckle would be very close ~5.3-5.5 lbs.

Tobin

I have weighted a few plates before. Plate for plate, DSS kydex medium plate is NOT any lighter than Halcyon AL regular size plate. I concluded the reason is DSS kydex plate has the center stainless steel support channel. Now I don't have the exact weight for Kydex, but H AL regular plate is about 1.5lb only. Full DIR style harness + plate (D ring harness, SS buckle, crotch strap+2 D rings, knife sheath) together is 3lb8oz.

My suggestion is don't change plate and harness, just ditch the STA. Since eclipse wing requires STA, you will need a new wing. I would say DSS 17 or HOG 23 is a good choice especially if weight is concern. Oxycheq wing is good, but not travel friendly, relatively heavy and stiff

Attachments

• Photo Sep 19, 7 04 39 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 19, 7 04 39 PM.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 402
I have weighted a few plates before. Plate for plate, DSS kydex medium plate is NOT any lighter than Halcyon AL regular size plate.

Quite true, but we don't build kydex plate to save travel weight. Kydex plates are a bit less negative *in the water* and that's why we offer them, for divers who would be overweighted with a SS plate.

Our OP is very likely better off with SS plate in warm water with a 3mm suit and buoyant al 80. The penalty is about 3 lbs of dry travel weight.

Keep in mind folks this is the DeepSeaSupply forum, not the Apeks, Oxycheq, or Ghost forum…………..

Tobin

Reminds me of 2 acquaintances who attempted Mt Everest in a quick alpine push. They wanted to reduce as much weight as possible so they went to extremes. Here are a few examples: they shared 1 sleeping bag between them; they sleep spooning. They cut their tooth brush handles in half. They cut out the labels on all their gear. In the end, the weather did not cooperate and they left the mountain with only stories to tell.

Might we see lightweight tech diving gear without labels at some point in the future??

GJS

Reminds me of 2 acquaintances who attempted Mt Everest in a quick alpine push. They wanted to reduce as much weight as possible so they went to extremes. Here are a few examples: they shared 1 sleeping bag between them; they sleep spooning. They cut their tooth brush handles in half. They cut out the labels on all their gear. In the end, the weather did not cooperate and they left the mountain with only stories to tell.

Might we see lightweight tech diving gear without labels at some point in the future??

GJS

The future is now. No labels on DSS gear. :D

I do often wonder about the focus on dry travel weight vs function in the water. It's a *Dive* trip after all. I'd look first to the bags and luggage, and second to fins as the "low hanging fruit" for weight savings and the stuff that actually gets wet last.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom