Lightest BP/W system for recreational single tank system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On some of the smaller shuttle flights in remote places you will have to leave your excess baggage behind and they promise to ship next chance they get so its not always as simple as paying a bit more.

FYI. happened to me in FIJI.

I am totally in agreement with Tobin and StefinSB. If I were to go on a dive vacation, I will bring my optimal gears for the environment, weight saving will come from non essential items. If I need to pay $50 for additional weight, so be it. After all, what is $50 compared to the cost of a dive vacation.

But really, AL/Kydex vs SS, there is only 3lb difference. Assuming you are off to a tropical location, I really don't think I need 50lb worth of stuff. Last time I flight to Thailand, I had AL plate, Oxcheq 40lb wing (not the lightest), SS STA, cambands with SS buckles, OMS slips with spring strap, LM 9A battery & charger, DRIS3C backup light with batteries, small camera setup (Canon S95 & Gopro), boots, hood misc trim pockets, highland shorts, SMB .... + personal items (tooth brush, sun screen, clothing ..) . The only things I didn't bring were wetsuit and weight. The whole thing with the suit case is well under 50lbs. I was packing in rush too, if I had more lead time, I could have save some weight.

The only time I went over 50lb was for a cold water destination where I also brought alone drysuits, 400g indie, jets fins. More clothing too because of colder top side. And yes, I did pay over weight. But I was well over 50lb. Saving 3lb plate won't help anyway.

I also switched to a duffle bag for scuba trips.

Spend enough time traveling and you will run into all kinds of silly restrictions and airport workers on power trips.

I too use a duffle bag; The North Face bags are solid and long lasting.

Power trips .... I had a guy thoroughly inspect my SMB. After the xray, I was pulled over and all my gear searched. They pulled out my SMB and had me unroll it and explain it's use.

GJS

Wanna feel the weight pain? Try traveling with a rebreather. Although carrying a rebreather head through security is fun....

The Ghost is light, and it's kind of slick. But it's pretty expensive for what it is. And it's not modular, either.

Actually The GHOST is as modular as any other wing. The backplate is removable and compatible with any other standard wing, webbing can be replaced too. And you may use a choice of different weight pockets.

For sure is slightly more expensive than cheap wings with the standard aluminium backplate, but you get not only reduced weight, but totally new level of performance.

If you have frequent flyer status you simply don't care as you can away with heavier bags. On the other hand I can never understand how people spends thousands on gear and a dive vacation and then buy additional crappy gear to save $50 on excess baggage fees.

Not sure what crappy gear you are talking about. Yes, there are some very flimsy travel BCD's out there, but I don't think anyone suggested them in this thread. I bought a soft backplate for tropical diving. It works great. Most destinations use aluminum 80's, so no issue with stability.

The thread starter dives tropical in Asia. Some Asian airlines and destinations have a 15 lb carry on limit and the planes are very small. Yes, I have had mine weighed and had to pay a penalty for overweight carry on.

A bag that weighs over the 50 lb limit costs $100 more in fees. That matters to me. Travel with family ? That is $100 extra per bag if you are over.

Ever buy something like souvenirs while on vacation ? I do and it tipped my bag over the weight limit. Ended up moving dive lights and spare batteries into the pockets of my winter coat.

I too use a duffle bag; The North Face bags are solid and long lasting.

Power trips .... I had a guy thoroughly inspect my SMB. After the xray, I was pulled over and all my gear searched. They pulled out my SMB and had me unroll it and explain it's use.

GJS

Duffle bag instead of an heavy wheeled bag is an easy way to save weight. I switched years ago for dive travel. Fragile items are still a concern though.

I guess the guy never saw an SMB before. Hopefully the extra time spent did not affect you. My camera bag always gets extra inspections.

Power trips...

- airline check in was empty, no customers. I walked straight to the counter, but had an airline employee call me back to walk through the line ropes.
- 2 women returning to NYC in winter, had their winter coats in plastic bags. Explained it was to keep them clean in the overhead bins. Forced to where their coats entering the plane or pay an excess carry on fee.

Thanks Tobin for advising the weight of the T17 wing + M. Kydex plate BP/W set. Am seriously considering it.

To us, the Asia region flights have very limited baggage allowance, 20kg/person. Some airlines are more flexible and some are stringent imposing penalties for even 1pound in excess! I consider reducing the BP weight is not a big problem. Weight triming using weight pouch at tank band is not difficult. For my existing Al BP set up with a STA, I usually use 2~3kg weight at belt with my 3mm full suit + hood. Therefore, I am seeking an extremely light weight BP/W set up. The set up of "ronscuba" is very tempting but it seems that the DSS TW17 has been discontinued.

Thanks all for the advices.

I have the discontinued TTW 17. DSS does sell the Torus 17 which is basically the same wing with an outer shell. My wife uses it with a softplate.

Tom,

To the best of my knowledge only DSS produces Kydex back plates. There are ABS plastic plates. We elected not to use ABS because of the risk of cracking. Kydex is alloy of PVC and Acrylic, which produces a very tough material, often used for gun holsters and knife sheaths.

Unfortunately kydex is not inexpensive.

Tobin
For one it is Tony and not Tom. I have several plates that I will sale rather cheap. Now if it is ABS or Kydex then we will discuss that..I will have to look. But if there is a need to go to something lighter weight then let the buyer ask the questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom