Metalsub quick release system for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback.
I thought you needed to disconnect for every filling so that's why I wondered.
No, that's not required. However, if you V-weights behind you backplate it can be usefull to take them apart.
Less weight is always a good thing for me. I only use bolts, no washer etc. So there's only two bolts to release before the plate comes of.

Thanks for the feedback :wink:

As I said, I don't know anything about diving doubles and wanted to make sure the set was usable before starting the course.

Waiting for the BP/W system to be delivered to see how to attach it all together.

I'll keep what you all said in mind and test the system as is with some bolts and see how that goes.

purpose being?
Being the dive shop will make more money off of a customer who doesn’t have enough experience to know they’re being upsold. Big red flag for the dive shop. Run far away

Just do it like the other doubles divers.

Mine come off by spinning two delrin nuts. Then I take both banded tanks to get filled together. Nothing to it.

If you want, you can get rid of the washers and nonsense on the tank bolts. Simply brush the back plate clean, and epoxy the washer to the plate so it never falls off again. I don't use any spacers on the back side.

Where I work we have a rapid mounting system for doubles. It is definitely useful in our case. Our systems are made by tiger gear. Tiger Gear

These systems are old. I am not sure if they are really made anymore.

One rail is permanently attached to your backplate and the other is attached to your doubles. You simply slide the rail and put a pin in it and you are done. Using this system I can change a set of doubles in 30 seconds.

One major caveat being that this system might require a horseshoe wing.

Everyone else seemed to answer your question but I thought I would share the option I am familiar with.

It’s gimmicky and unnecessary.

See what this man says, he speaks the truth

Mr andromedakun what is andromedakun, are you from the Pharaoh family or something

This bracket system stuff you look at is a toy, not serious scuba system, is for people who do not know things

There is only a reason to disconnect your backplate from your doubles once every 5 years.

Even considering we have toys, and not serious scuba in Terra Australis, with tank hydro EVERY YEAR
The wreck penetration junk I find wedged between my wing and plate and rust is cool like a dive log

Mr andromedakun what is andromedakun, are you from the Pharaoh family or something

This bracket system stuff you look at is a toy, not serious scuba system, is for people who do not know things
Hi Happy,

I'm not sure, Pharaoh's do tend to be extinct nowadays but if the theory that every European is descendant from Charlemagne, which was about 1300 years ago, then it is possible that we are all descendants of Pharaohs as well considering they lived a lot earlier.

More seriously, this is my online nickname since so long ago and referenced Saint Seiya (the Japanese cartoon) and has stuck.

You mention it is for people who do not know things, as that is why I am here, knowing nothing and asking for guidance to see if this is worth it, does that mean that this system is made for me? :D

After reading all the comments, I will not order this system right now and see if I can make it work with simple bolts and nuts. If for some reason it is not working, I can still install the system later.

you may tear up the shoulder of your wetsuit when you hook it on the wing nut.
If this issue materializes... Hacksaw & file to customize the bolt length. A delrin nut is a bit easier to spin on. (Check your bolt diameter, 3/8" and 5/16" are common.)

After reading all the comments, I will not order this system right now and see if I can make it work with simple bolts and nuts. If for some reason it is not working, I can still install the system later.
There is a school of thought in diving that "simpler is better" and another that the more standard and less customized the better. Bolts and nuts work fine, don't come off when you don't want them to, are easily replaced with spares if you lose one, etc.

Descendants of Charlemagne--you must be in Brussels! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom