Metalsub quick release system for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andromedakun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,

I've just bought a second hand set of doubles and ordered a backplate and wing ready for doubles (basically, the same I have for single except it has a steel backplate instead of aluminium).

Anyways, I'm now looking at systems to attach the doubles to the BP/W and the diveshop I go to told me about the Metalsub Quick Release system.
It looks to be really easy to connect and disconnect the tanks from the BP/W but I wondered if it was solid enough.

At the moment, I have 0 training in using doubles and will not use them until I have the training to use them correctly but I would like to have the system ready for when training starts so I can use my own.

Thanks in advance

AJ:
Why would you want to use an quick release for doubles? I attach the backplate with two bolts/nuts (single an ddouble) and never felt the need for a quick release. So, I'am curious what you would like to achieve with this?
I don't know, it looked easy to be able to just detach the tanks easily to fill them up. As I said, I have never used doubles and have no training yet in them so looking around.

On single tank, getting the tank out to fill is very easy, just open up 2 bands and get the tank out. Doubles seem a bit more difficult as you have to remove some nuts and bolts before being able to free the tanks.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but when I' removed the nuts and bolts of my BP/W (Xdeep Zen Deluxe for single tank), getting all the plastic bits, washers, nuts and bolts back in is some work. And that is without using some 30kg worth of tanks in there.

If attaching the tanks back on the BP/W system is really easy, then of course using nuts and bolts will probably be the preferred way.

purpose being?

looks like more stuff to drop/lose...

I also wonder how rigid a single band is?

I use a metalsub to attach my pony bottle. It’s a great system, but it’s anodized aluminum. The stainless button that disconnects one side from the other takes a lot of maintenance to keep working.

There is only a reason to disconnect your backplate from your doubles once every 5 years. Using a metalsub introduces an additional failure point that gains you no extra usability.

It’s gimmicky and unnecessary.

I use a metalsub to attach my pony bottle. It’s a great system, but it’s anodized aluminum. The stainless button that disconnects one side from the other takes a lot of maintenance to keep working.

There is only a reason to disconnect your backplate from your doubles once every 5 years. Using a metalsub introduces an additional failure point that gains you no extra usability.

It’s gimmicky and unnecessary.
Thanks for the feedback.
I thought you needed to disconnect for every filling so that's why I wondered.

If it's more maintenance, doesn't really help and adds possible failure points then it doesn't need to be in my setup.

Thanks for the feedback.
I thought you needed to disconnect for every filling so that's why I wondered.

If it's more maintenance, doesn't really help and adds possible failure points then it doesn't need to be in my setup.
I don’t mean this as anything but advice, take it or leave it.

Wait to buy more stuff until you are trained. A set of doubles attaches directly to your backplate, but you may tear up the shoulder of your wetsuit when you hook it on the wing nut. But you will soon figure that out.

If you find you need the metalsub for a purpose, or like the gimmickry of it, get one. I love mine, but as I say, I use it for a different purpose.

As divers, we love our dangles and bits and bobs.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom