Doubles wing for singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’m looking at used gear to get into cold water/dry suit diving and so will need a BCD or BP/W with more lift. I’m likely buying used as it’s quite an expense (suit/BCD/cold water regs etc). Would a 38 lb horseshoe wing work for singles? It’s on a steel plate and harness and priced way less than any new setup. I don’t have any desire at the moment to get in to doubles. I think the lift capacity would be good but the inflator hose outlet (center) would not be ideal - possibly contact tank valve/reg and the width/shape would make it too floppy and trap air?

Depends on the wing. It may taco to the point that you will fight to get air out of it. Where are you located. I'm selling a 32lb wing with a soft plate and adjustable harness. The soft plate can be removed and you can add a steel plate and use the wing and harness with that. Comes with two steel buckle cam bands.

I use a 32# wing with a 16# plate for single tank drysuit diving in the Great Lakes (cold water). Works fine including with a big old heavy Worthington HP120 tank. Do the math. The wing needs to float the gear, and weight can be ditchable. Wing is for buoyancy, suit is for warmth..

I’m looking at used gear to get into cold water/dry suit diving and so will need a BCD or BP/W with more lift. I’m likely buying used as it’s quite an expense (suit/BCD/cold water regs etc). Would a 38 lb horseshoe wing work for singles? It’s on a steel plate and harness and priced way less than any new setup. I don’t have any desire at the moment to get in to doubles. I think the lift capacity would be good but the inflator hose outlet (center) would not be ideal - possibly contact tank valve/reg and the width/shape would make it too floppy and trap air?
When I began diving in cold water (Great Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior) in 1992, I continued to use my Scubapro Stab Jacket for a while, the orange one I purchased new in 1987 for diving in the MO and AR lakes. After about a year, I replaced the orange SSJ with a new black "Classic" non-weight-integrated SSJ, because it was cut a bit larger and provided a more comfortable fit with my drysuit (which I purchased in 1993).

Both SSJ's provided plenty of lift for a single HP80 or HP100 and a heavy weight belt. I threaded a 4# Pb weight through the tank strap.

So, it could be that your current BCD will work okay for you for a while even after you begin wearing a drysuit. (What is your current BCD?)

rx7diver

My current BCD is for warm water travel, 24#. Playing around with the optimal buoyancy calculator it appears that >35 # is best. The LDS recommends one that is 36# IIRC, but new is pricey. I’m more curious about this particular wing design, if it will work ok for single tank aluminium with the STA or look elsewhere.. for roughly the same lift but a more narrow wing for singles.​

It is a deep sea supply wing? I have one, the center outlet for the large hose looks weird, but it doesn't seem to be any worse (or better) than one mounted to the side.

Appears to be a Euro brand (Agir)? I’d not buy a new wing in this configuration but price was good. Since consensus seems to be it’s not optimal.. I’ll pass. Thanks all.

Depends on the wing. It may taco to the point that you will fight to get air out of it.
My first thought was, "Do you want guacamole with your taco?"

That said, it really depends on the wing. For instance Zeagle has 44lb wing for the Ranger that can be used for both singles and some doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom