Halcyon Evolve 60 wing + double 12L tanks - overkill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDiverDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

So, I'm looking at buying my 1st doubles set with wing.
I'm diving mostly in northern European climate in a (compressed neoprene) drysuit.
Most divers here use their drysuit for buoyancy instead of their wing, for what it's worth.
I've never used stages, and probably won't use them in the next few years. I do want to train further into tech, cave diving etc. in the future.
I've decided on getting a steel double 12L set (long, not wide 12L's), and apparently a 40 lbs wing should be enough.
There are plenty of options to choose from, but I'm also looking at the used marked.

I have an opportunity to get a barely used Halcyon Evolve 60 wing with steel backplate and extras such as pockets for a nice price, but from what I've read, this may be overkill.
I can get it for about the same price as a new xdeep Hydros 40 (aluminium backplate). The steel version of the Hydros or the Xdeep project are both more expensive than the barely used Halcyon Evolve 60.

What is your opinion? Are there disadvantages to going with the Halcyon? Is it too big and will I have trouble getting air out of it due to 'only' having D12's?

Thanks!

I find it much easier to dump my 44 lb doubles wing than my Halcyon Evolve 60 wing. The latter I use due to the width of LP50s surrounding my CCR canister. With the narrower D12s? I wouldn't want to.

Yes! The 60 is overkill on the D12s. Get a 40lbs wing.
The 40lbs will get you through at least 3 stages with no issues. A 60lbs wing is a hassle on the 12s

I dove D12s (Worthingtons) with an Evolve 60 for non-tech dives and it works, just a little on the annoyingly big side and if you only have a little gas in it the bubble gurgles around but it works fine otherwise.

Depends on what kind of diving you see yourself doing in the future. I routinely use a 60-pound wing with double HP100s and LP85s, and find it very comfortable/no issues.

I also dive that same 60-pound wing with double LP50s recreationally (too lazy to change out the wing), and that is a little bit annoying - but still totally doable (can be a little trickier to dump air without a bit of a circus act/twisting-and-turning).

A D12 is like our LP85 or HP100, am I correct? If so, I long used an Evolve 40 with my double LP85s, and it worked perfectly. When I acquired heavier tanks (LP104s), I switched to an Evolve 60, mainly to keep my head above water when floating at the surface. What I'd like to add here is that when I have both the LP85s and LP104s with me on a trip, I have no problem diving both sets with the Evolve 60. In other words, it works fine, though perhaps not optimal for the smaller tanks.

Go for the 40lbs, 60lbs not only is an overkill but the wing span will make dumping air must more inconvenient (still ok to dive but why create a problem at the beginning)

Hi all,

So, I'm looking at buying my 1st doubles set with wing.
I'm diving mostly in northern European climate in a (compressed neoprene) drysuit.
Most divers here use their drysuit for buoyancy instead of their wing, for what it's worth.
I've never used stages, and probably won't use them in the next few years. I do want to train further into tech, cave diving etc. in the future.
I've decided on getting a steel double 12L set (long, not wide 12L's), and apparently a 40 lbs wing should be enough.
There are plenty of options to choose from, but I'm also looking at the used marked.

I have an opportunity to get a barely used Halcyon Evolve 60 wing with steel backplate and extras such as pockets for a nice price, but from what I've read, this may be overkill.
I can get it for about the same price as a new xdeep Hydros 40 (aluminium backplate). The steel version of the Hydros or the Xdeep project are both more expensive than the barely used Halcyon Evolve 60.

What is your opinion? Are there disadvantages to going with the Halcyon? Is it too big and will I have trouble getting air out of it due to 'only' having D12's?

Thanks!
Good option

A mentor once told me: buy the gear for the diving you are doing now not something you might do in the future. If your diving style changes, buy the appropriate gear when the time comes. If you have an aversion to spending money, tech diving is not for you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom