Ultralight Travel BP/W Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My rig of softplate (OMS IQ Lite - $150) & wing (Aqualung Outlaw - $80) + 1 quick release tank strap ($25) weighs around 1.6kg/3.5lb (without the optional wing cover and no pocket) to 1.8kg/4lb (with the wing cover -$45 and 1 extra pocket for dsmb, torch, mirror, and whistle - I got this one for free). Everything is soft and can be easily packed flat or rolled up tightly, total $255-$300. I need 1-3kg of lead with this rig and a standard 11L alum tank, depending on wetsuit thickness (rash guard to 5mm semi-dry), so it's not super imperative to switch to a more negative rig.

Just got back from first trip with this rig. Diving heavy steel 117 tanks no weight was required. So turned out perfect for my uses.

I would be interested in the pictures / instructions if you have them conveniently.
Instructions are just to cut a piece of seatbelt strap to 7.75”, form a loop, and sew the loop with a 1/2” overlap. Then create channels on the top and bottom folds of the loop by sewing lines across both layers of the loop approx 3/8” for each fold. The result is a loop with three channels. The bungee is fed through the small outside channels and tied to the length you need for the weights you want to secure. The tank strap is passed through the center channel. Strap to a tank and and secure your weight by passing one loop through each belt slot and securing each loop under the opposite side of the weight so that the loops cross. Most sewing machines will not be able to sew the loop so you are either sewing by hand or using a thin throat cobblers machine.

These work OK. If
The bungees aren’t tighter than you would see on a weight plate, the weights can flop around a bit. I’ve never had an issue using them but the design didn’t turn out to be significantly better than just passing a long loop of bungee under the tank strap before you lock it to the tanks. You gain the ability to leave the bungee in place but you lose the feeling of a rock solid attachment.

Pic attached. The white is just leftover paper from a template I printed when I was testing some different options.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom