Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for DSS, especially if you will be using it for single tank diving.

As simple as a BP/wings are, Tobin's solution for singles is the next level in ruggedness and simplicity.

All the best, James

One of the great things about DSS is that Tobin won't let you buy the wrong thing. When a friend of mine tried to buy a bp/w from him, he wouldn't sell it to her -- until she got the information he wanted to be sure she was buying the right wing.

I can't say enough good things about the customer service, either. It's a really top-rate company.

Thanks guys! Im doing research now to see whats what.

Are any of you real big guys by chance? The problem im having with regular BCds is that they dont fit, somewhere. Im about 6"2 with a real long torso and about 320lb so ive got a 48" waist as well. Tough to fit for things like Wetsuits which is another thing im in search of now made custom.

All of our Diving is going to be warm water, Hawaii is about as cold as we plan on going, most of our stuff is Carribean and we are wanting to do some Cave Diving in Cancun next year.

1 question...what are CAM bands?
Going to browse DSS now. Thanks again!

Oh yea, how flat do the wings pack down? We travel alot and every pic ive seen of Wings seems to be fully inflated.

For those who travel, how does the BP/w compare to regular BC?

scrapdizzy:
Oh yea, how flat do the wings pack down? We travel alot and every pic ive seen of Wings seems to be fully inflated.

BP/W is a whole lot easier to travel with than a regular BC.

Weight wise it all depends on whether you get SS, aluminum, or ABS plate. Personally, I have the SS, it weighs 5 pounds but what the heck, if two people are traveling you are allowed 2 bags each and 50 pounds per bag.

I also carry my regs and other expensive stuff like computer in a backpack for carry-on.

Scrap,
I'm big at 6' and 260....I got my halcyon because I hated my "jacket" style bc, I
always felt as though it was sqeezing me. I'll never(and I mean that) dive with anything but a BP/W again, it's like not wearing any gear at all once you get in the water. And not as bulky in confined spaces......Jim

scrapdizzy:

I recently purchased my Diverite Hog/Alumi BP/Venture wing specifically for travel. It folds up to about 1/4 the size of my old BC and would go even smaller if I removed the cam bands. A frameless mask, Air 2, and the Zeagle Teleoz make for a compact package that easily goes into a standard carry on with room to spare.

scrapdizzy:

If you get a single bladder BC, you could 2-3 wings in a shoebox. If you get a "bladder in a bag" wing, you could fit one in a shoebox.

When I bought my Halcyon Pioneer, it came in a box. A very small box. I thought they had screwed up my order. Box was about 14" wide, about 18" long, and about 7" deep. I opened it. It contained my wing, my BP, my harness (attached to the backplate), my 7ft hose, my 24" SPG hose, a manual, my bill of lading, and my reciept. I could have put 4 of those boxes in a carryon, and had room for a day's clothes.

By the way, I'm 6'0", 245. The beauty of the BP/W with the basic harness is that it is like a custom fit. You could adjust the unit to fit you perfectly, take it off, and in an hour, have it fit a high school girl. The webbing costs $1 a foot, and you'll use 10-14ft to make up the BC. Plate is made of steel.. you could run your car over it. All you'll ever have to spend real money on is the wing. Take care of them, and they last a VERY long time. I did a pool session for a young lady last weekend. She was using the first wing her dad ever purchased. Her dad is retired, and has been diving wings since the early 70s.

Good luck with your purchase.

scrapdizzy:
Checked out the Oxycheque on Scubatoys....does it not need a backplate?? I dont see one.

Remember these are modular units. The Backplate is the "spine" of the system. All wings need it. But you can buy the wing seperately. This is useful if you ever want to dive a larger tank, or wear more gear, or go to double tanks. rather than buy a new BC, you simple remove two screws, pull the plate off the wing, change the wing, and put the plate back on with two screws. You don't even need to make any adjustments since the plate and webbing are already sized to fit YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom