Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrapdizzy:
I actually checked out the OMS today and am very sold, i love the iq and the XL fits me perfect but the guys here locally ae taling about $700 for the rig ith bladder, plate and harness!!!! im trying to be at 500 or less.

Still hunting.

Have you called dive sports & looked at the dive rite transplate system (not to be confused with the transpack system). It has an adjustable harness so it's easy to get in & out. It has integrated weight, and my buddy bought 1 in april or may for $510 with free shipping. My only suggestion is to get a smaller wing than the trek wing.

Many people here are sold on the hog harness. While it has many pluses, it isn't for eveybody. If you want something with adjustments and quick releases, then get them. If you decide in the future to go to a hog harness, it isn't a big expense. Plus it will give you something to tinker with in the cold winter months.

The Apex you showed earlier isn't their backplate with harness, it's what they call the the WTX harness. It's similar to the dive rite trans PAC with the exception that you can somehow incorporate a ss BP, but I'm not sure how that works. But from what you have stated, I think this would be way over what you want to spend.

Whale Whisperer:
If you really want to keep it down to $500, I think your going to have to look for a very basic set up... Most BP & Harnesses with a single tank adaptor can be had from around $140 to $250 and most wings for a single tank are under the $300 range.
The Lowest price I can find:

Hammerhead Aluminum Back Plate
Single tank adaptor
Harness with rigging
Brand name wing for a single tank configuration
all for $470 (without shipping costs)

Or the sky's the limit :wink:

You can get the complete single rig package from DSS for $445.

Quarrior:
I've used two different harnesses with the quick release. I'm not going into specifics about the brands, but I will say after diving them, one more than 100 times, I wouldn't recommend either.

It has nothing to do with the quick releases failing. It is the material of the webbing that I have an issue. In order to make these more comfortable for "recreational" divers, the webbing used is softer. It twists very easily during donning and doffing. In general it's a PITA.

I switched to the one piece HOG harness which is heavier weight than the others. Love it and one won't go back.

I do agree with soft material issue. That's why I suggested the dive rite harness. It doesn't twist up like other harnesses. This is especial true if you add weight pockets to the softer harnesses.

scrapdizzy, as others have said take your time. In the end, you'll be the 1 diving the rig you buy, so take your time, call DSS, oxycheq, scubatoys, divesports, and anybody else who makes or sells BP/Ws and ask questions. When I bought my rig, I talked to them all, and they were all helpful. Then, if you can, try 1 out somewhere.

But if you try someone else's rig, and it has a hog harness, be sure you get it adjusted properly. As others have mentioned, this takes some time the 1st time you do it. If you get it adjusted properly, then you'll know if you like it, or if an adjustable harness is more to your liking.

If you haven't already done so, you might look at similar threads to see what others have said previously. I basically did the same thing this spring that you are doing now. Here's 2 of my threads about getting a BP/W.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=139303

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=139489

IS it pretty safe to say that a BP/W setup is going to weigh more than a BC and would be more cumbersome for traveling?

It might weigh more, but not by much I'd venture. It's easier to pack as well, flat plate and wing compacts down easily. You'll find it's night and day different in terms of packing. You can't get a traditional vest style BC packed as tightly.

scrapdizzy:
IS it pretty safe to say that a BP/W setup is going to weigh more than a BC and would be more cumbersome for traveling?

It depends on how heavy a plate you get. I have a 2lb AL bp. This, with my wing, is a lot lighter than my old bc with all the material. bp/w is a lot less cumbersome because it's so streamlined.

Dive-aholic:
It depends on how heavy a plate you get.

or...

... how heavy your standard bc is.

For instance, my Zeagle Ranger and my Oceanic Chute weigh about 9 pounds each. that's about the same as my 6# SS plate, 2.5# STA, and a Pioneer wing.

My FredT plates don't fly! :11doh:

Stephen Ash:
My FredT plates don't fly! :11doh:

Why not?

Back
Top Bottom