Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Oxycheq plate and DSS wing weigh about a pound more than my Libra did, and come apart and pack in far less space.

Victor, a lot of people would advise against diving doubled steel tanks under your conditions, precisely because of the buoyancy issues.

I think that a very good setup for rec and tech diving would be,
OMS Iq Pack
300 Bar Isolation manifold,
95lp steel tanks
oms bands
OMS #94 lift
al, back plate

Stephen Ash:
9 pounds 12 pounds and 16 pounds.

Besides... I fly to warm water.

:D WWW :D

Thatcher B:
I think that a very good setup for rec and tech diving would be,
OMS Iq Pack
300 Bar Isolation manifold,
95lp steel tanks
oms bands
OMS #94 lift
al, back plate

SS bp might be better. Take a look at a previous post where scrap stated his body dimensions.

Personally, I built my own system useing a variety of parts. My BP is a HammerHead SS, the STA is HammerHead two. I bought a DSS harness and a Dive Rite wing. It was a little under 500 when I was done, and it has exactly what I want it to have.

I gotta admit, after trying on about 30 different setups today at 3 different Dive Shops....im leaning towards the MARES Dragon. What a great BC and so comfortable! My runner up at this point is the Dive Rite Transpac and travel wing. I was'nt feeling the crotch strap situation though.

scrapdizzy:
I gotta admit, after trying on about 30 different setups today at 3 different Dive Shops....im leaning towards the MARES Dragon. What a great BC and so comfortable! My runner up at this point is the Dive Rite Transpac and travel wing. I was'nt feeling the crotch strap situation though.

Scrapdizzy, I hope you take this post in the spirit intended...

Trying on a BC of any kind in a shop tells you nearly nothing other than the size is grossly too large, far too small, or fits in general. If you didn't take these units in the water, you've learned nearly nothing about them. It's like sitting in car in a showroom, imagining how'd they'd feel on the road, and trying to decide which is right for you.

I will also reiterate that you will spend approximately 1/15 to 1/20 of your dive time on land/boat, and the remainder in the water. How a BC feels on the surface is nearly immaterial. Unless you purchase a BC that fits exceptionally well, the crotch strap plays a very important role that is not apparent until you've taken the unit in the water. Your first time on the surface in the BC will explain why.

Of course, my preference is a hog rigged BP/W. However, I realize that many divers do not like that system. Therefore, I suggest that you try a variety of BCs in the water, before you decide what you really want. Keep note of how much weight you have to wear with each system. Take note of how hard or easy it is to get into a good, horizontal swimming position. Take note of where you would put weights, lights, and your other scuba gear.

Take the unit and pack it in a duffel or roller bag if you plan on traveling with the unit and see how it packs.

Best of luck in your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom