Newbie questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ns2ny:
Hi Folks,

I've scanned the past posts and could not really get any answer...thus this note.

I am close to biting the bullet on a drysuit but wanted to get some clarification from those of you with experience.

1) I am debating about a HD trilam vs. a crushed or compressed neoprene no more than 2mil. I know that the neo is "tougher" but curious since I will not be doing any serious tech diving and/or minimal penetration, which would you suggest and why

2) Related to this, anyone have a rule of thumb on lead difference between the two (ie how much more lead you would need with neo vs. trilam)

3) Finally, fixed boots or neo-socks...preferences and why.

Many thanks for any/all input.

David

My friend at the LDS and a super tech diver guy just went from crushed 3mm to a tri-lam and dropped 14 LBS in weight (I think it was 14lbs). So that alone might be a sway factor for you.

When you are in the water, they pretty much have about the same mobility.

Fixed boots is no hassles to put on, they are part of your suit. Socks require you to use rock boots (which is what I have). fixed boots might last you 300 shore dives(?), then you have to send your suit in to get it replaced ( I have no idea what the cost would be, but I do know that I would be without a suit for a few weeks). Rock boots are cheap and you can pick them up anytime.

Hope this helps
Henry

Back
Top Bottom