Newbie questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ns2ny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Folks,

I've scanned the past posts and could not really get any answer...thus this note.

I am close to biting the bullet on a drysuit but wanted to get some clarification from those of you with experience.

1) I am debating about a HD trilam vs. a crushed or compressed neoprene no more than 2mil. I know that the neo is "tougher" but curious since I will not be doing any serious tech diving and/or minimal penetration, which would you suggest and why

2) Related to this, anyone have a rule of thumb on lead difference between the two (ie how much more lead you would need with neo vs. trilam)

3) Finally, fixed boots or neo-socks...preferences and why.

Many thanks for any/all input.

David

there is no answer. It all comes down to personal preference.

I dive the shell due to mobility, and the ability to dress with more or less insulation. I'm generally plenty warm. I have no reason to believe it's not robust enough yet. You're probably not gonna get a clear response on it being tougher either. There are tons of people who swear by a shell.

I have neo socks and swear by them. I do quite a bit of shore diving right now and when walking down it's a huge benefit to have fitted boots. Plus, if and when I wear them out, I'll just toss them and get a new pair. Not a hefty repair bill getting new boots attached.

Good luck.

The shells are popular with the DIR crowd because they don't change buoyancy with depth like neoprene does.

Can you reach your valves with both suits?

SeaJay:
Can you reach your valves with both suits?

Well, I have tested a few different suits so far and never had too many problems however my testing has not been very methodical

But if I can read into your other comment, (and logically this would seem true) that even w/ 2 mil neo, my lead levels will be somewhat higher than the trilam. I just have not paid enough attention to monitor what the real difference is.

david

You might want to try them out... Can you find a place where you are that will allow for you to try these different suits out?

SeaJay:
You might want to try them out... Can you find a place where you are that will allow for you to try these different suits out?

It's a bit tough here in NYC. There are not that many places that stock a range let alone test them out. I know that Dog Days are coming soon but I was hoping to complete this before hand.

I have tried a trilam and vulcanized but not neo. Frankly did not seem much diff. I am leaning towards trilam for no real reason over the neo as I think I may be able to shed a bit of weight.

david

That's what I'd recommend.

The neo also compresses with depth, where the trilam doesn't... Which is what I meant by "changing buoyancy with depth."

I haven't seen a 2 mil neoprene drysuit... Most of the ones I've seen are 7 mil or more, making buoyancy changes with depth a real issue. Got a picture?

Trilams also help rid the diver of "Michelin Man" syndrome. :D

SeaJay:
That's what I'd recommend.

The neo also compresses with depth, where the trilam doesn't... Which is what I meant by "changing buoyancy with depth."

I haven't seen a 2 mil neoprene drysuit... Most of the ones I've seen are 7 mil or more, making buoyancy changes with depth a real issue. Got a picture?

Trilams also help rid the diver of "Michelin Man" syndrome. :D
I've got a 2mm compressed neo suit - it does compress a bit at depth, but much less so than a 4 or 6 mm neo suit. But I can wear less insulation than with a trilam. On the flipside, though, with a trilam, if you need to wear relatively more insulation, that insulation might then have more airspace to compress (thus creating additional buoyancy change - not from the suit material itself but from your undergarments). So in the end, the buoyancy change factor between the two might not be as great as you might think.

The neo suit might be a little more streamlined as well. With the trilam there is no michelin man syndrome, but you might get a bit of garbage bag syndrome instead. :bogey:

I had the same questions. After all the bloody things cost an arm and a leg so don't want to get it wrong.

After all was said and done I decided I just had to make a choice and go with it.

I chose a Diving Concepts Cordura suit with Thinsulate undies and attached boots. Why?
Cordura is Tough,
It was relatively inexpensive,
It has relatively little buoyancy change with depth,
It offered a good warranty,
I trust my LDS to treat me right since he always has,
It needed no more lead than I was using with my old wet suit and may need less as I get experience.
I liked the idea of getting out of the suit and already having warm dry clothes on, especially on those snowy, blowy days.

In the end it is personal choice. This was mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom