need help for key largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did m first ever discover scuba diving dives down in Key West two years ago in July, I did it in my bathing suit, and was totally fine...Anything from that to a 3mm full or shorty should be fine this time of year.

Please take me with you! hahaha!!!

ok now that i have the wetsuit issue sorted out, as with all the talk about sharks lately, should i have any worries that i look like shark food when i gear up? Although I do not believe i look tasty, perhaps a nice reef sharf may think differently. I'm not too worried as all I have read is that most sharks couldn't be bothered unless your carrying pocket fulls of chum instead of weight. All feedback is greatly welcomed. This board is nothing short of terrific so far.

If I know I'm going to be in the water with sharks (non-nurse, of course), I like to wear a full wetsuit, not a shortie. White arms and legs (I'm from Oregon, so yes, they are white) may look like a fish to predators. I've not seen that many sharks in the Keys, though.

Oh, yeah, do not tie a raw pork chop to your BC, regardless of your certification level.

I'm usually disappointed on most of my dives in the Keys because I don't see any sharks. You probably won't see one, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :sharks:

Unless you get cold easily, all you'll need is a swim suit. If you dive wrecks, you will want gloves, but $1 garden gloves work quite well.

any reccomendation on after diving entertainment for those who have been to key largo?

The water temp today was 85f
Always wear a wet suit. Your body temp is approx 98 and water will always draw heat from your body. Also the only jelly fish here at this time of the year are moon jelly fish and there has been none spotted to date. These only have a mild sting that lasts for a few hours, they do not attack divers and are eaisly avoided by swimming around them. They drift with the current and prevailing winds.

Eat at Hobo's. It's in Key Largo just north of "the cut", just south of Kelly's and Amy Slate's Amoray Divers. I figured out that I get cold easier in "warm" water, because "warm" water is not usually as warm as your drysuit. I was there last week and did several dives in my drysuit w/ thin thermals and several dives in a 3 mil wetsuit. The first wetsuit dive was fine, but they got progressively colder. I used my drysuit during some long dives on the Spiegel Grove and the USCGC Duane. We were in the water over 100 minutes on each of the 2 wrecks and over 20 minutes of that was hanging on the line doing deco. Holiday Isle is a fun place to hang out as well. It's south about 15 miles in Islamorada. Hog Heaven has great food as well. They are at the edge of Islamorada just over the bridge going south, but they are on the northbound side. You can sit outside and enjoy the ocean view. Hobo's and Hog Heaven both have great conch fritters and blackened fish!

Diveral:
I'm usually disappointed on most of my dives in the Keys because I don't see any sharks. You probably won't see one, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :sharks:

Very true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom