need help for key largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any reccomendations for underwater cameras, can you rent them at the local dive shops, do the cheap underwater 35mm cameras work???

if you're asking about the disposable type underwater cameras, yes they work just about as good as the disposable ones you would use on land, but are not made to go very deep...the quality obviously will not be great or anything, but they will "capture the moment"...and yes, many shops do rent cameras...just be sure to call ahead and reserve, if necessary....once again, have a great trip and we expect a full report(hopefully with pics) when you get back!!!

What are some essentials to bring on dive boat (besides standard gear)

sohnje:
What are some essentials to bring on dive boat (besides standard gear)
Be considerate of others and keep what you do bring orginized and in your little 2' of space under your seat.
Now for the stuff:
Sunscreen
nice floppy hat
motion sickness pills or patch ($$)
take pill before you go
sunglasses
towel
long sleeveT-shirt
lite snack (granola bar,nuts)
I like a bag of trail mix and share some you'll be a hit
boat usually has bottle water and fruit

I know there is more but this is a good start

My wife and I were in Key Largo 2 weeks ago and dove with Horizon Divers. She did a resort course in the morning and then we did two afternoon dives on Molasses Reef. We had a great time! Water temps in the mid 80's, visiblity endless (I dive in Lake George, NY and 15' is darn good) and billions of fish.

We saw two reef sharks (5-6') at different times, a nurse shark, several barracuda, at least 4 big green moray eels, spiney lobsters, a couple groupers and lots of other smaller fish, too numerous to list even if I knew them all.

We both wore 3MM shorties but many other divers just wore lycra rash guards and were fine.

Horizon Divers are good people and treated us very well. The dive boat was close to full but everyone was courteous and there were plenty of staff on board to help out if needed. There was even a small TV crew on board recording a cable network kids program on several youngsters getting OW certified. They even did some recording underwater of the kids going through their skills.

I would recommend Horizon Divers to anyone. They run a fun but professional operation.

I would dive with them again in a heartbeat and probably will when we go down there again.

2 days till my first big blue plunge at key largo.. i'll let everyone know how it went and thanks for all the feedback

PARADISE HUNTER:
I am leaving in about three hours for Key Largo. I packed a 3 mil and a thin lycra skin. I used to just dive in a swim suit, but brushes with jelly fish have me wearing some sort of thin protection now. Have fun.

Is there fire coral in the Keys? I just got back from Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago, and had there my first brush with fire coral. CRAP! Never even knew what it looked like before, but you can bet I spot it right off now! I guess I'll have scars there; definitely not a cool experience. I have dived the Keys several times, but don't know if I've seen it there or not. Is it there?

sohnje:
2 days till my first big blue plunge at key largo.. i'll let everyone know how it went and thanks for all the feedback

I'm leaving for a week of diving in Key Largo in approximately 90 minutes. :) Yee-ha!

I've dove in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Belize, and they were all great, but I certainly do love Key Largo. Great diving, great variety, and it's just a 4.5 hour drive. Key Largo is hard to beat.

The instructor who dove with my wife and I was quick to point out the fire coral and made a big deal about avoiding it. Sounds very unpleasant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom