need help for key largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sohnje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone help out a novice diver (20 dives) who is heading for key largo in July. I need to know what type of exposure suit to bring. I use a wetsuit and can use any input some more experienced divers can provide. I currently dive cold water quarries where visibility is about 10'. Thanks for any help !

If you want to wear an exposure suit (the water is very warm in July), you could go with anywhere from a shorty to a 3mm full (protects you from jellyfish stings, scrapes, etc.)

Key Largo should have pretty warm water in the summer months. Some divers wear 3mm as do I. Some divers don't wear any exposure suits at all at that time as the water can be that warm. I wear a wetsuit for protection anyway. I have an article on Keys diving at my website below.

I always wear a shortie down there in July. If you can't have one, you can pick up a shortie for about $50 buck-a-roos. If you are cold natured, a 3mm will be fine.

BTW... getting in that quarry is going to suck after diving in Key Largo.

The water temps are running from 80-82 right now. Depending when you are coming down to visit--a shorty is more than appropriate. If you are coming later in the summer, when the water temps run closer to 90--a skin is great for dermal (skin) protection ( lots of fire coral down here).

If there is anything else I can help with, just PM me!

Pat

It depends on if you are cold natured or not.

You will occasionally hit a cold current running through the reef.

I would go with a 3mm full for cold and other protection.

There are jellyfish down there, to which my wife can attest. She now makes sure everything is covered with something including reef gloves for her hands.

PS - vinegar really works!

Think about a .5 mil full body suit. Cost is about $80. reef gloves possible. If you are prone to cold you could use a beenie but trust me cold water divers do not need lots of thurmal protection in 80 degree water. its the warm water divers who need it... I think our blood must thin.

Oh... with a thinner suit you will need to drop some weight as well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom