need help for key largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the heat of the summer I wear a 1mm O'Neill suit and absolutely LOVE IT!! I also wear gloves on most dives and always if I'm using any kind of permanent down line. The last time I didn't I had to contend with fire coral on my hands, ick.

Rachel

Nope. Keys diving is boat-based.

R

Wore my 3/2 last month and the water temp was 79. I was very comfortable in the water and a little hot on the boat. I normally wear dive skins, a shorty, or just my swim trunks and a rash gaurd July - Sept.

AL

Diving in July... water temps will be mid to upper 80's...

How many dives per day? Over how many days? How prone to heat loss are you?

So a shorty... 3mm or 2mm is good. As people have pointed out, there are jellies and fire coral so a body suit... skin or something is good. Even a full 1mm is good choice.

Even with this, you will loose heat and can get chilled some (although it won't be noticeable as chilled -- you'll feel tired and lethargic on your 3rd day for example).

Reef gloves are great, especially for the wreck dives. Mainly for the mooring line which can have a lot of barnacles or shells on it. They really cut you up.

Going in July myself, I'll be wearing a 2mm shorty w/o sleeves and a full sleeve rash gaurd underneath. Legs won't be covered but my arms and neck will be from the sun as well as jellies. Found that my BC rubbed my neck on my first trip -- looking left... right... trying to take in everything.

Hey everyone, I want to thank you for your input. It's been really helpful. I cant wait to experience visbility over 10'. sounds like I'll be diving a 5mm shorty with a lycra suit for full body protection. took the average of all the input. I'll be doing 2 dives daily with horizon divers which i picked up from this board. Hope everthing goes well.

sohnje:
Hey everyone, I want to thank you for your input. It's been really helpful. I cant wait to experience visbility over 10'. sounds like I'll be diving a 5mm shorty with a lycra suit for full body protection. took the average of all the input. I'll be doing 2 dives daily with horizon divers which i picked up from this board. Hope everthing goes well.

5mm shorty may be a bit much for you. This is going to be bath water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom