need help for key largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sohnje:
...sounds like I'll be diving a 5mm shorty with a lycra suit for full body protection. took the average of all the input...
Not sure how a 5mm the average of all input. That input went from nothing to 3mm max. Maybe you meant 0.5mm.

I'm going down next week and will be in a 3mm. It's the thinnest I have and I am comfortable in it. I dove Grand Cayman in late Feb with close to the same conditions in it and I was comfy.

Have a great trip.

Chris

sohnje:
Hey everyone, I want to thank you for your input. It's been really helpful. I cant wait to experience visbility over 10'. sounds like I'll be diving a 5mm shorty with a lycra suit for full body protection. took the average of all the input. I'll be doing 2 dives daily with horizon divers which i picked up from this board. Hope everthing goes well.

Nix the 5mm. A skin is probably enough, maybe a 3mm shorty over that at most. Keep your hands where they are supposed to be and they won't get cut or scraped. Gloves not needed except for the ascent line on the wrecks.

If you haven't got all your equipment or wetsuits yet, wait til you get there. Key Largo has several large dive stores with fantastic prices on gear that will likely blow away your LDS back home.

Never had viz over 10'? Wow, I wish I could be there to see the expression on your face on that first dive! Just listen well to your DM, they will tell you everything you need to know about the location and the local procedures. I'll bet you'll be amazed how your air consumption improves in that good viz and warm water.

I think a 3/2 mil is perfect. Even if the water is warm, you can still get cold on your second hour-long dive. Twice I was in south Fl and experienced freak cold water what-ever-it-was. Once, it was 64". In June.

I wore swim trunks and a rash guard two weeks ago and was fine. I'd suffocate in a 5mm, but if you can hop in a luke warm shower with one on and be happy, then go for it! :)

Well, It's looks like im down to a lycra dive suit. I guess im not gettting the concept of "warm water" . 68 degree surface water temperature is typically a great summer dive day in the N.E.with the thermoclines generally holding at a balmy 58 degrees. Key largo is starting to sound like a big bathtub with fish in it.
Now i'm assuming that since most of the reefs are fairly shallow (30-50ft), there will not be 20-30 degree temerature drops at that depth? Or is this an incorrect statement?

sohnje:
Now i'm assuming that since most of the reefs are fairly shallow (30-50ft), there will not be 20-30 degree temerature drops at that depth? Or is this an incorrect statement?

No thermoclines, even on the 130 foot wrecks. I promise, by the third day you will be daydreaming of how you can make a living down there.

I would highly encourage the use of reef gloves when diving from boats in Key Largo. All the boats I've been on there throw out a tag line from the stern and then have you remove your fins on the tag line before you get on the ladder. It's a lot easier on your hands to hang onto the rope with gloves on..
Dive safe...

Any recomendations on brands of reef gloves or are they all about the same? Are they lycra or made from a thicker/tougher material?

sohnje:
Any recomendations on brands of reef gloves or are they all about the same? Are they lycra or made from a thicker/tougher material?

just like all other dive rquipment, you can pretty much spend as much as you want on a pair of gloves, but you should do well with something under $20...try out as many as you can and find the ones you like...personally I like them as light and as thin as possible so that they do not impede my dexterity....if you don't have time to find some you like before you leave, fear not! there are only 4,782 dive shops in Key Largo to choose from:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom