Nautilus LifeLine nexGen available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in 2015 I was playing with my first-gen NLL (the one with the VHF marine radio for talking to your boat). I had an MMSI I had gotten from BoatUS, and sent this question to BoatUS:
"How do I get my MMSI registration #(redacted) into the ITU Search and Rescue Database?"
I received this response:
"Please be aware that due to changes in our agreement with the Coast Guard and FCC, BoatUS will not be issuing new MMSIs for Nautilus Dive radios. BoatUS is authorized to provide MMSIs for radios aboard vessels that are not required to carry a VHF under FCC regulations and that will communicate only with U.S. stations. Dive radios do not qualify because they are not associated with any vessel and generally purchased to be used internationally.

"Your existing Dive Radio MMSI registration will not be affected by this change. It will remain in force in the BoatUS and Coast Guard database, and must continue to accurately reflect your current information:

Address and phone numbers
Emergency contacts ashore
Identifying characteristics of boat (length, hull type, color or things that may differentiate it from vessels nearby)
1.If you no longer own the registered dive radio, please login and cancel your MMSI account.
2.If you will be using the radio in International waters, please be aware that the registration is not in the International ITU Search and Rescue Database and would not be accessible to international search and rescue authorities. It resides in the U.S. Coast Guard Database.

"To View or Edit your registration go to BoatUS.com/MMSI and login. If you do not have your MMSI login and password, retrieve them from the database at: BoatUS.com/MMSI/Main.asp?Action=EmailPassword

"BoatUS provides MMSI registration, in accordance with guidelines from the Federal Communications Commission and the U.S. Coast Guard, as a service to the boating community."
Since one issue seemed to be that a specific ship had to be associated with an MMSI, I sent a furter quesry as follows:
"I am actually FCC-licensed (redacted) for portable use of VHF/FM 156-158 MHz, and SSB radiotelephone 1600-27500 kHz, on any U.S-flagged ship. Does this make a difference?"
The response was:
"Unfortunately there is no U.S. or Foreign agency that can currently issue an MMSI for International use with a Dive radio. Marine MMSI are coded for vessels licensed by rule and are not authorized for use in a radio that is not vessel related. Dive radios with DSC came into the market requiring an MMSI without the manufacturer having followed the proper course to make sure there was a source for those MMSI to be assigned. Unfortunately it will be up to the dive radio manufacturers to follow-up with the proper authorities to initiate and create an appropriately designated MMSI for this type of radio. Until that happens, there is not much that can be done.
"BoatU.S. originally offered a solution for Dive radios being used in U.S. waters only, but we have found that the majority of these radios are in fact being used internationally; therefore we can no longer offer this option. Keep in mind the radio will work and the DSC feature is enabled with its existing MMSI, the problem is that while you are in international waters, any search and rescue will not be able to look you up in the ITU database and they will be looking for a boat, not an individual diver. You will still be able to contact whatever vessel you are diving from so long as the vessel has DSC and it has been enabled."
So, I conclude the original NLL will work fine with your liveaboard dive boat, and you can even talk to them and say you are fine but please hurry, however general off-shore use is fraught.

A better solution is the current and "next-gen" NLL (without the VHF Marine radio embedded) that has the MMSI of the boat you are on, and sends both an AIS and DSC signal if your are in distress. But you can't talk to anyone to help sort things out. For this reason, you could always carry an additional VHF Marine radio in a canister. And in another canister you can have your PLB to send a distress call via satellite. Or carry an InReach to also use a satellite but use private S&R systems (and pay) rather than the government-run systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom