DryFob XL: Affordable Canister for PLB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not the cap, the contents inside. If/when opening this "at sea", it is likely an actual issue, and things are pear shaped. Losing the cap is "trivial" at that time. Losing the rescue device inside it is "critical"...

We had discussed simple "at home" mods for the two parts of the capsule, and never even considered the manufacturer to have to improve it.

I really like this item. I have a Custom Diver (sold only in Europe) unit, and was thrilled to have options in the US.
PLB1 has a float sleeve. If you fumble during extracting it from the canister, swim and fish it out on the surface. Don’t complicate things. Keep it simple. KISS.

I can't think of anything I dive with that isn't capable of being clipped off on its own. All lights, camera rig, dsmb and reel, etc. Each critical piece of equipment should have a bolt snap affixed and clipped somewhere whether that is clipped inside the can or to your harness/bcd once in the surface and using it. If everything is importance is attached to the lid which is also attached to you then the only potential loss at that time is the can and really, who cares. Seconds don't matter in that situation, critical thinking does.
Unclip the plb from the lid and attach to you directly.
Unclip and attach and other needed items after that.
Close the can if still available and stow.
Activate plb and start working out the rest of your self rescue plan.
PLB1 has a float sleeve. Just fish it out of the surface if you fumble it when you pull it out of the canister.

I have all of my safety devices on a leash, attached to BCD D-ring. Nothing would go to the abyss without me.

3C9DC1F5-2CA1-4245-9AD4-9895BDF182A0.jpeg

Thank you so much for that comprehensive writeup and great ideas for the product. We are very happy to provide a solution that we hope will benefit divers with PLBs.

The feedback and product improvement suggestions are all appreciated. We were out diving this morning and I’ve just returned to read through all this.

For attaching the PLB to the lid, the lids interior smooth surface can be used to glue or adhere a lanyard with a strong adhesive sticker perhaps.

We’re also very interested to hear more about attachments and how you all mount/secure it. The smaller car key containers are often bungeed to belts or arms or kept in pockets but the XL is much bigger.

Thanks again for the great feedback and ideas.

I do have a suggestion, that’s to make the canister for PLB1 with ID slightly over 2” to fit naked PLB1 (without its float sleeve) and length of 2x PLB1 height, this way the float sleeve can be placed on top of PLB1 and leashed on to the PLB1. To pull the PLB1 out of the canister, we can simply reach into the canister top opening and pinch the float sleeve with 2 fingers (thumb & index finger) then pull out the float sleeve together with the PLB1 as it’s attached to the sleeve with a leash.

The canister then would be less bulky (~ 2.5” OD) about the size of DSMB and can be easily fit into the waist pocket of BCD.

I have my PLB canister clipped to a waist D ring, and have a way to clip my ACR 435 View (which floats) to a shoulder D ring once I remove it from the canister. Making sure the cap stays with the canister is important to me because they are the only thing I carry which could store rainwater should I be fortunate enough to get caught in a rainshower if I am ever lost at sea.

An interesting comment on the main thread about using a 1" longer XL as a replacement for a light canister for a long hose
Would love to hear other application ideas.

As for the size, we've already heard from one disappointed ACR PLB Aqualink owner, and I know that some RescueMe owners were hoping for smaller and narrower. Not currently planning additional sizes but will continue to gather feedback.

Also wanted to list some models with their sizes that we believe would fit from information gathered.
If anyone has corrections or other popular devices not listed please let me know and I can update.

Will Fit
ACR ResQLink (Various Models) 4.25 x 2.03 x 1.49 inches
ACR PLB-375 ResQLink 3.9 x 1.9 x 1.3 inches
ACR Artex 3 x 2.1 x 1.3 inches
McMurdo PLB Fast Find 220 4.17 x 1.85 x 1.34 inches
Micro PLB 4.75 x 2.3 x 1.1 inches
PLB OCEAN SIGNAL PLB1 2 x 3 x 1.32 inches
PLB Rescue Me 3 x 2.1 x 1.3 inches

Will NOT fit
ACR PLB Aqualink 5.8 x 2.3 x 1.45 inches (No Longer Manufactured)

I've been considering the DF XL to replace what I am currently using for my Rescue Me PLB 1. I am currently using the HDVSeaTek egg, which is next to impossible to open with wet hands, but it does have room for a dye pack and a small signal mirror. Does the DF XL have enough room for those additional items?

Here is the solution for attachment that works for me tested for about 50 ocean dives without problems. Get a HOG large utility pocket and attach to waistbelt of BCD harness. This is for a competitor’s case so check the dimensions for the Dryfob XL

Attachments

• 85792E5E-F410-48E3-8EE5-F49751C8FA72.jpeg
    85792E5E-F410-48E3-8EE5-F49751C8FA72.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 118
I've been considering the DF XL to replace what I am currently using for my Rescue Me PLB 1. I am currently using the HDVSeaTek egg, which is next to impossible to open with wet hands, but it does have room for a dye pack and a small signal mirror. Does the DF XL have enough room for those additional items?
Hey Tony, the DRYFOB XL will be larger than your current Egg and will have plenty of room.

From what I can find on-line the egg varies between 60-70mm in diameter and is 70mm in length, although the picture suggests if would be longer. DRYFOB is cylindrical and thus 70mm top to bottom and has an interior height of 122mm. Also IPx8 rated to 100m (330 ft).

You will end up with more room on the sides and a good 1.8" space above your 3" length rescueMe. Large in comparison but will have room for additional safety items. Check our specs above for buoyancy characteristics and exterior sizes also.

DRYFOB-XL PLB Container Specifications​

Outer Dimensions (width)Top: 3.07” (78mm), Bottom: 2.91” (74mm)
Overall Height5.51” (140mm)
Inner Cavity SizeLength: 4.80” (122 mm), Diameter: 2.75” (70 mm)
Weight7.8 oz (221g)
BuoyancyBuoyancy: 11.9 oz (338g)
Depth TestedIPx8 certified to 330ft (100m)

Looks like you might be in Lauderdale. We're also in South Florida (Aventura), so you can also DM me and we could possibly meet up to show you one over the weekend if you're unsure about sizing or want to see them.

Here is the solution for attachment that works for me tested for about 50 ocean dives without problems. Get a HOG large utility pocket and attach to waistbelt of BCD harness. This is for a competitor’s case so check the dimensions for the Dryfob XL
This looks like a good solution FishWatcher747 thank you for sharing.
The DRYFOB XL has outer dimensions of 3" x 5.5" so I believe it would indeed fit in the HOG pocket which measures 4" x 9" from what I can tell on-line. Your picture seems to show a custom divers unit next to it. I believe these measure 75mm x 125mm so the DRYFOB XL at 78mm x 140mm should also fit.. I've ordered one and will post an update once mine arrives and I get to try it out :).

This looks like a good solution FishWatcher747 thank you for sharing.
The DRYFOB XL has outer dimensions of 3" x 5.5" so I believe it would indeed fit in the HOG pocket which measures 4 x 9 from what I can tell on line. Your picture seems to show a custom divers unit next to it. I believe these measure 75mm x 125mm so I think the DRYFOB XL at 78mm x 140mm should also fit.. I'll post update once mine arrives and I try it out :)
I have the HDV SeaTek, a Custom Divers, and the DRYFOB XL. The HDV comes with a large mounting hole, and I've just got a snapshackle on it. The Custom comes with a sort of open-mesh case, but I use instead an old Dive Rite Quick Mount I had lying around; it allows the canister to go on a 2-inch webbing belt.

1659531630451.png

1659534824615.jpeg

The HDV is difficult to manipulate and is bulky; it comes apart in 3 pieces (the two halves of the canister plus the locking ring) so you are sure to lose a piece if you have to open it at sea. It has one big fat o-ring.
1659535420114.jpeg

The Custom is face-sealed plus one o-ring and can be hard to open; it has a reputation of leaking.
1659535472358.jpeg

I'm looking forward to the DRYFOB XL...first use next week. Anything that will fit in the Custom will fit in the DRYFOB XL, which is slightly bigger.
1659535550849.jpeg

IDHeight
HDV Seatec (not available?)71mmapprox 100mm
Custom Divers (from the UK)61mm115mm
DRYFOB XL70mm122mm

Attachments

• 1659535524605.jpeg
    1659535524605.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 106
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom