Nautilus LifeLine nexGen available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I am asking is if Nautilus would ever consider making a diver friendly PLB, as such device currently does not exist on the market.
They already answered this earlier in the thread. They considered it and decided No.

Certainly if we are talking liveaboards and things of this size, but not necessarily if you are diving off a small dinghy in the middle of nowhere, where the only other boats are of a similar kind and a radio is simply not a thing.
And again, this is not a criticism of Nautilus, which is a great device, merely a question if there are any plans for a full blown diver friendly PLB one day, something that does not exist on the market now, as that could possibly be a "shut up and take my money" kind of a device :wink:
Which part of “most” confuses you? 😒

Meet Nautilus LifeLine nexGen!

A personal GPS search and rescue locator, designed for ALL ocean explorers - from snorkelers to divers to paddlers and anyone at sea!

You can send a non-emergency “Position Report” message with your GPS location OR a “Man Overboard” distress message with your latitude and longitude coordinates to boats within a 34-mile (55 km) radius!

• Utilizes dual DSC and AIS technology on VHF radios
• GPS position accurate to 1.5 meters
• Rescue range up to 34 miles (55 km)
• Almost 100 hours of transmission time
• Works anywhere around the world
• Depth rated to 425 feet (130 meters) with cap closed
• IP68 watertight with the lid open, making it perfect for all weather conditions like heavy rain, swell, or big waves
• Positively buoyant in salt water (floats)
• Automatic strobe light when a certain level of darkness is detected
• Compact and light – weighs only 4.6 oz (131 g) with batteries inserted
• 5-year battery life and replaceable batteries
• No extra fees – no registration, subscription, or service fees required

Now available at www.nautiluslifeline.com for only US$199 (original price US$249), offer available only until July 31st, 2024!

Contact info@nautiluslifeline.com for a $135 trade-in special. Any LifeLine. Any condition.

Don’t miss out and order your LifeLine now!

@Nautilus Explorer
I bought a second generation Lifeline while diving a Nautilus liveaboard in Socorro. I never quite understood how it works. I'm getting a better idea from this thread, but simply speaking:
If I am floating somewhere off of Cozumel far from land and with no boats in sight, how would the nexGen improve my chance of recovery over my gen2?

Certainly if we are talking liveaboards and things of this size, but not necessarily if you are diving off a small dinghy in the middle of nowhere, where the only other boats are of a similar kind and a radio is simply not a thing.
And again, this is not a criticism of Nautilus, which is a great device, merely a question if there are any plans for a full blown diver friendly PLB one day, something that does not exist on the market now, as that could possibly be a "shut up and take my money" kind of a device :wink:
100 percent anecdotal but this may be instructive:

I was diving off a liveaboard in Galapagos that loans Nautilus units free of charge to divers. During the briefing, one of the crew said that at one time a unit had "disappeared" from the boat. A few months later, the boat got a call from a US Navy officer who was enquiring about the unit etc.

Apparently, the new "owner" had activated the unit -- no details available about the circumstances and whether it was an emergency -- and the signal had been reported along with the identifying information about the boat. In the words of the liveaboard crew member, "AIS emergency signals do not go unnoticed."

@Nautilus Explorer
I bought a second generation Lifeline while diving a Nautilus liveaboard in Socorro. I never quite understood how it works. I'm getting a better idea from this thread, but simply speaking:
If I am floating somewhere off of Cozumel far from land and with no boats in sight, how would the nexGen improve my chance of recovery over my gen2?
My understanding is that the NexGen has improved signal range and longer battery life once activated.

I emailed them yesterday as I want to take advantage of the lower price and trade in. How long do they take to reply? I would hate to miss the deal.

@Nautilus Explorer
It won't. The Nautilus is not a preferred solution for "far from land" and "no boats in sight." You need something that talks to a satellite, like a PLB or the Garmin InReach.

It won't. The Nautilus is not a preferred solution for "far from land" and "no boats in sight." You need something that talks to a satellite, like a PLB or the Garmin InReach.
I hope that the range exceeds “no boats in sight”. 😉

I hope that the range exceeds “no boats in sight”. 😉
The range is advertised as up to 34 miles. That would be an absolute maximum range in great conditions with an antenna that has gain and altitude...such as coastal Coast Guard antennas. The typical whip antenna on a boat has nowhere near that range....Remember that VHF radio is nearly line of sight, and the line of site distance (in km) to the horizon from any given Height H is about 4km for a Height of 1m...so your NLL held 1m above the water has about a 4km range to the horizon. The key to range is therefore the height of the antenna on the boat; if that is (say) 9m, then you get about a 12km range to the horizon. The line-of-sight distance goes as the square root of H, so you need a really tall antenna -- with a lot of gain -- to get to 34 miles.
Short answer: if you can se the boat, you can probably talk to it. If you can't even see it, good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom