My first reg!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all.
So along with other 'firsts' in my life, I've decided that a regulator will be my next Dive purchase. (Hence the my first reg topic...)
I'm a bit sick of renting them now.
So I'd like all of you guys collective input and advice on this purchase.

My preferences for the reg purchase are as follows in order of importance to me.
  • Reliability (I don't want something that is going to be constantly in need of service, adjustment et cetera. I've had excellent experiences using Sherwood Magnum regs already).
  • Budget (I'm on a tight budget need I say more, ~$400 at the most)
  • Performance (I'm a warm water diver, strictly recreational for the foreseeable future, generally diving between 0-100fsw, with the occasional juant to 110fsw for a particular dive site). Nitrox capable reg if possible
Although I've asked the question, I already have a particular reg package in mind. Mares MR12 axi pro with Mares octo and possibly Mares gauges although I don't like the font on their gauges.
It's received excellent reviews in both scubadiving http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/class_of_2004/1/ & Divernet (British Mag,) http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0804divertests.shtml#axis

I'd be grateful for your input on the Mares reg setup above and other regs in that price range.

Oh and it doesn't matter to me whether or not I get free or some sort of reduced rate for servicing the reg if I buy it from a particular retailer as shipping the reg to and from the states, paying whatever stupid taxes are levied on it. Is just too tedious and expensive for me.

Thanks in advance for your input..

Hi Jamdiver,

I'd say you'll be fine with a SP MK17+R390 and octopus SP R190 for your budget. Easy going regs with sealed membrane 1st stage...there should be no probs with 'em.

Always depending in your LDS capabilities of course.

I do not know about your Mares choice but they are not very popular un my country.

Cheers

Paddy

I took a look at the SP MK17 Paddy, it does seem pretty nice. It's not available on this side of the world yet, hopefully it will be by the time I'm ready to purchase my reg.
Still undecided though, but thanks for the info.

Next to nothing and what is available at dive shops which are mostly affiliated to hotels here are exorbitant and double/triple the price in the states.
I was planning to buy from LP or some other internet retailer.

I'd assume it would be rather difficult to service brands like Apeks or Zeagle over there. In your case I'd recommend sticking to the big names of the industry like: Mares, scubapro or Aqualung. It's possible to service those brands almost everywhere. Even in the most remote location you may be able to find a shop that would fix or service them.
Mares makes excellent, reliable and easy breathing regulators that would make any recreational diver happy. Unfortunately, most people who dismiss them, never really tried one and rely on what they heard from other people on message boards.
I have a Mares Abyss and the previously recommended Apeks DS4/ATX50 and let me tell you that the Abyss is the better breather, more solid and reliable regulator. :wink:

Given your budget, I'd say you can't go wrong with the SP MK2/R390 and SP R390 backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom