Sidemount regulator choice post 2024 inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been switching my gear over to Deep 6 for myself and family. Their regs have been great. (Full Disclosure: I have not done any tech depths or side mounts with Deep 6). The customer service has been outstanding. Quick shipments, and I appreciate talking directly to the manufacturer instead of having to use an LDS for a middle man.

Hi, new to the boards~ 50 dives single back mount only as background.

Starting my sidemount training next week locally in the PNW.

I’m planning to purchase my own equipment and have carefully read every applicable thread I could find.

- I want to be able to dive in the PNW and tropics.
I would like to eventually progress into both technical and cave diving.

Things that have stirred armchair interest.

High end: MK25/G260 ish, XTX50, atomic any, Poseidon
When I was doing side-mount, with friends in Mexico, years ago, most of us were using Poseidon -- specifically the older "unbalanced, compensated" Cyklon 300s back then, which were relatively cheap, compact, dirt-simple, with only three o-rings in the first stage (and some nylon gaskets which stayed put and could last decades), and which had long been a favorite among many cave divers in the UK.

They delivered air like nobody's business and breathed beautifully, whether at ten or over sixty meters, regardless of whether it was the cold PNW or the tropics.

Modern versions of the Cyklon are available -- and there is still a demand for the 300s on the used market, which says something for the quality of the gear . . .

When I was doing side-mount, with friends in Mexico, years ago, most of us were using Poseidon -- specifically the older "unbalanced, compensated" Cyklon 300s back then, which were relatively cheap, compact, dirt-simple, with only three o-rings in the first stage (and some nylon gaskets which stayed put and could last decades), and which had long been a favorite among many cave divers in the UK.

They delivered air like nobody's business and breathed beautifully, whether at ten or over sixty meters, regardless of whether it was the cold PNW or the tropics.

Modern versions of the Cyklon are available -- and there is still a demand for the 300s on the used market, which says something for the quality of the gear . . .
Thank you!

That kind of well made rugged simplicity appeals to me.

expensive parts and smaller service network are the downsides for poseidon. also not everybody loves a servo 2nd stage if you opt for the jetstream/xstream.

expensive parts and smaller service network are the downsides for poseidon. also not everybody loves a servo 2nd stage if you opt for the jetstream/xstream.
Based upon some colleagues' latest experiences, both in terms of service kits; their dealer-limited availability and the impressive expense of their branded spare parts, Scubapro and Atomics have now eclipsed Poseidon in terms of that cost.

Admittedly, I recently had to replace a low pressure valve seat in a Cyklon second stage for US 27.00 and a worn exhalation diaphragm at 9.95, after only thirty-some years of constant use.

I was jipped, man . . .

My vote is for Dive Rite. I run the XT1/2. No issues.

I’m currently using a pair of Apeks MTX-RC for my sidemount setup. However, I highly recommended Deep6 after I tried a set of rental in Florida. And I will definitely get a pair of Deep6 if I cannot get the Apeks service kit in the foreseeable future.

Compared to my Apeks, I cannot tell the difference in terms of performance and build quality. They both breath well and built well. The cherry on top of D6 is its extended body, which makes the turret can spin 360degree freely on the modular valve, this feature is handy when you need to airshare in overhead environment.
The only thing I don’t like is the mouthpiece, the comfobite mouthpiece is just much more comfortable and easy to your jaw.

I always buy used regulators (and service them myself). I have several pairs of older SP piston regs and the metal 2nd stages (109 or balanced/adjustable) that I have used for cave diving for years. There is a great used market for these regulators and they work perfectly. What you might do is check with the local service place that you’re going to use and ask them about servicing used regs, if they say fine (I expect they will) then you can buy a pair of MK25s or MK20s or even MK10s. For second stages you might look for the older G250 or the G250V, or if you want to spend a little more, S600. Bring those to the service place and buy a set of hoses and SPGs separately; a good place for that is divegearexpress, another one is piranha dive mfg. I would expect to pay around $100/stage, maybe less, maybe a little more for MK25s and S600s. The two SPGs and short HP hoses adds another $150, the other hoses maybe $75. I’ll guess $250 to fully service 4 stages with new service kits, that still puts you under $1,000 for really good quality regulators. Newer does not mean better. It is nice to have turrets and end ports for SM.

The hose lengths are sometimes a little tricky in SM. You might check with your instructor on that. I’m an average size, maybe a little on the small side, and I use a standard 7ft hose on the right tank, 24” on the left, 9” LP inflator, 6” SPG. This is for cave, if you’re doing OW diving maybe you don’t want to use the long hose. Again, check with your instructor.

Back
Top Bottom