My first reg!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren:
I'd assume it would be rather difficult to service brands like Apeks or Zeagle over there. In your case I'd recommend sticking to the big names of the industry like: Mares, scubapro or Aqualung. It's possible to service those brands almost everywhere. Even in the most remote location you may be able to find a shop that would fix or service them.

Yeah aquaoren that is one of my concerns i.e. the serviceability of a reg and obtaining parts for it. I've heard that there is an authorised Mares dealer in the island although I can't find them on the Mares website. Think I'll email them for more info.
Anyway a few of my members of my dive club are certified reg techs so servicing it shouldn't be too difficult.

What's your opinion on the MR12axis pro, R2 axis, R2 rebel, MR12 rebel and others in that product range?

You might want to check to see if there's any service available in your part of the world, and what parts are stocked locally/regionally. In terms of reliability and not needing a great deal of service, it's hard to beat the scubapro MK2. Rather than pair it with a 390 2nd stage, I'd save some money and just get the 190; it breathes at least as well, and the size difference won't matter in the water.

But, I think the availability of service should be your top criteria; it would suck to need a little adjustment or a $3 part and have to send the reg halfway around the world for it. All the regs people have recommended would doubtlessly work really well, so it's a matter of convenience.

Jamdiver:
Yeah aquaoren that is one of my concerns i.e. the serviceability of a reg and obtaining parts for it. I've heard that there is an authorised Mares dealer in the island although I can't find them on the Mares website. Think I'll email them for more info.
Anyway a few of my members of my dive club are certified reg techs so servicing it shouldn't be too difficult.

What's your opinion on the MR12axis pro, R2 axis, R2 rebel, MR12 rebel and others in that product range?
Don't have pesonal experience with them as I have an Abyss.
The R2 is a simple piston design, probably not the best breather but as bulletproof as a reg could be, I would think.
The MR12 had some reported trouble with the HP seats. Whether it is corrcted now that I don't know.
I'm partial to metal so I would look into something like the V16 Proton Metal and upwards if I would about to buy me a new Mares reg. Since they recently changed the appearance of the Abyss, you may find one of the old ones for less and it could be a good deal. I think Scubatoys had them for a while, not sure whether they still have them in offer.

Jamdiver:
Thanks Aqua, have done a bit more research on the Mares regs...
Think I'll go with the MR12 axis, diagraphm over piston..

If you want diaphragm... really try to do the V16 over the MR12. It uses a spherical core seat that is much more dependable, and only requires 2 year service intervals instead of every year. You can upgrade from the MR12 to a V16 for only about $50. And the Axis was discontinued about 2 years ago... replaced with the Axis Pro... then the Rebel. So if you're getting an old axis... make sure it's at a really good price.

I meant the axis pro..
I just realised from your post that the Rebel is the replacement, I wasn't sure about that before..
A friend of mine has the V16, hasn't dived with it yet though.

Jamdiver:

Since your club members are reg techs, them the decision factor should be based on availability of parts as posted by Matt.

Scubapro MK2 parts are easily available online or on Ebay and normally very low cost. Mares parts are more difficult to obtain never mind the cost.

I have just had my MR12 serviced and I have decide that this was the last time it will get serviced because the cost is prohibitive, I might as well put the money in a new reg.

I recommend going with ScubaPro......I personally have never had any issues with there products and am still using the same MK10 G250 I bought new in 1989

tzeyap:
Scubapro MK2 parts are easily available online or on Ebay and normally very low cost. Mares parts are more difficult to obtain never mind the cost.

I have just had my MR12 serviced and I have decide that this was the last time it will get serviced because the cost is prohibitive, I might as well put the money in a new reg.

How much did the Mares part run you and what was the cost of your service?
If you don't mind me asking..

Just curious

Just go to leisurepro.com and buy the Mares MR12 or the R2. They are clearing them out right now for $125 and $100 respectively. Most people quit diving within a couple of years. Spend $100 now and seee if you are going to stick with it. If youe decided to you cna buy a better reg later and use the Mares as a backup.

I'm buying an R2 Axis for my girlfriend. I figure for $100 she can use it for 2 years ( 2 or 3 trips of maybe 20 dives each) and then I will sell it on ebay for $40. All my regs have DIN fittings and the adapter bugs her, so she needs a yoke.

As for my regs. I have a few Scubapros (2 Mk18/G250s and a Mk16/R380) and a Dive Rite RG 2500. But I dive deeper and colder water than the g/f. She only dives when its clear, blue and 82.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom