My first reg!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle, Apeks, Diverite, Scubapro, Mares, choices choices!
At this point though I'm basically even split between a Scubapro MK17 or MK 16 R190/R390 setup or a Mares setup...

So I'm slightly less clueless than when I started researching on what reg to buy!
I'm slightly more impressed with the Mares lineup though to be honest.
Thanks all!

With all due respect to the Mares fans out there, I have been less than impressed by the V16 series from the standpoint as a former owner and as a divemaster than has seen almost every single V16 that comes on my boat fail. Most of these regs had been regularly serviced or they were new out of the box.

The nature of the failure has been an IP creep that causes the 2nd stages to freeflow.

I have been very impressed by Scubapro and Apeks regs as an owner and looking at the products that have come on the boat.

Rachel

While I'm not a Mares fan, I think that may be a bit of an overexageration.

Biscuit7, I'm not doubting your personal experiences as a former owner and DM, but if the problems you've described above for the V16 were in fact that common.
Don't you think there would be a recall or it would be widespread knowledge about this reg's problem at this point?

This is in sort of contradiction to an earlier post by Larry that the V16 in comparison to the MR12 is more reliable due to the "spherical core seat that is much more dependable, and only requires 2 year service intervals instead of every year"

This is the first time I've heard of this particular issue.
By the way which particular version of the V16 was it that had these problems?
Hopefully not the current one! http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=V16FirstStage

DA Aquamaster:
Conshelf parts are not that expensive. I don't order the parts for the shop but I am certain that first and second stage annual service kits for Conshelf and other Aqualung regs run in the $10.00-$12.00 range. So I would expect a total of $30-35 for parts - unless the dealer is marking them up about 100%. I know the shop I do service work for sells them at cost.

Mares sells their parts a little strangely. For example an annual service kit will not come with a seat - you have to order it separately which makes no sense at all.
Up here the Conshelf kits are about $35 for the first stage and $25 for the seconds.

As for Mares, they only recommend replacing the seat every 2 years. It is strange though... and cheap of them. I don't think that a Diaphragm is included either.

Can you get your paws on those kits Rescue?

Jamdiver:
Biscuit7, I'm not doubting your personal experiences as a former owner and DM, but if the problems you've described above for the V16 were in fact that common.
Don't you think there would be a recall or it would be widespread knowledge about this reg's problem at this point?

The IP creep was very real, in fact Mares sent out Kits to replace all ‘white’ second stage sets with a new ‘green’ seats. To my knowledge nothing was said directly to the public. All problems were to be fixed by the technicians during the service schedule. Also, the first stage poppet was to be replaced with a newer poppet and that was to be “blown” out of the 1st stage with compressed air- a real freaking pain I might add. Divers who used the regulators more than average would see the HP creep before others. The high pressure creep was not always immediately apparent. You had to let the unit sit for ten minutes and then it would start to rise.

There are other problems and issues with Mares product.
High pressure hoses (pressure gauge hose) that leaked at the crimping. The hoses had to be replaced on NEW HP hoses. It was something that had to tested before the client received the unit or would work out as a problem very early in the units life. There was a material change in the HP hoses also- I am not sure if that ever took off.

Shall we discuss the issues with the IRIS and communication with the Nemo computer? Mares screwed the dealers there! They new the interface did not work.

How about the button problems on the M1 series computer. It is well known that if you dive extensively (a lot) then you run the risk of the buttons to stop working. What happens is the buttons start to require the diver to push harder to make them work and eventually they do not work at all. I have seen one diver blow through three units in two years.

While everything I have said is true and to the point rarely would Mares customers see such problems rather the dealers took the brunt of the problems.

I have owned Mares product and I own it now (v16, BC, Octo, pressure gauge) and it has never failed in a critical manner. I would recommend Mares product to my family and friends. All manufactures have had problems and Mares has bee exceptional with their customers. Sometimes it is hard being between the customer and the manufacture.

Regards, Andrew

MilitantMedic:
Can you get your paws on those kits Rescue?

Why yes, I can. Although I think that I would be beaten with a stick if I were to sell them though. I would be happy to do your servicefor you though. PM me if you want to see what a real reg service looks and breathes like. Do your full service overhaul with all parts for $100 CDN.

Crazyduck:
The IP creep was very real, in fact Mares sent out Kits to replace all ‘white’ second stage sets with a new ‘green’ seats. To my knowledge nothing was said directly to the public. All problems were to be fixed by the technicians during the service schedule. Also, the first stage poppet was to be replaced with a newer poppet and that was to be “blown” out of the 1st stage with compressed air- a real freaking pain I might add. Divers who used the regulators more than average would see the HP creep before others. The high pressure creep was not always immediately apparent. You had to let the unit sit for ten minutes and then it would start to rise.

There are other problems and issues with Mares product.
High pressure hoses (pressure gauge hose) that leaked at the crimping. The hoses had to be replaced on NEW HP hoses. It was something that had to tested before the client received the unit or would work out as a problem very early in the units life. There was a material change in the HP hoses also- I am not sure if that ever took off.

Shall we discuss the issues with the IRIS and communication with the Nemo computer? Mares screwed the dealers there! They new the interface did not work.

How about the button problems on the M1 series computer. It is well known that if you dive extensively (a lot) then you run the risk of the buttons to stop working. What happens is the buttons start to require the diver to push harder to make them work and eventually they do not work at all. I have seen one diver blow through three units in two years.

While everything I have said is true and to the point rarely would Mares customers see such problems rather the dealers took the brunt of the problems.

I have owned Mares product and I own it now (v16, BC, Octo, pressure gauge) and it has never failed in a critical manner. I would recommend Mares product to my family and friends. All manufactures have had problems and Mares has bee exceptional with their customers. Sometimes it is hard being between the customer and the manufacture.

Regards, Andrew

Much thanks, I've pretty much made up on my mind now on what to buy...
The Mares, seriously though I think it's the best fit for my current diving and diving in the somewhat foreseeable future.

Jamdiver:
Much thanks, I've pretty much made up on my mind now on what to buy...
The Mares, seriously though I think it's the best fit for my current diving and diving in the somewhat foreseeable future.

Sounds like plan to me. Enjoy your new gear and I hope that you will have many years of diving with it.

Best Regards, Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom