Mask Sealing and Mustachios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried numerous things including shaving my glorious face mane! Now I personally use an edging razor (most premium blade have them now) and shave about 1/8" under my nose before a dive and have found that is enough for me to get a good mask seal and post diving it fills back in a few days and no one notices.

I've tried numerous things including shaving my glorious face mane! Now I personally use an edging razor (most premium blade have them now) and shave about 1/8" under my nose before a dive and have found that is enough for me to get a good mask seal and post diving it fills back in a few days and no one notices.
That's what I do when I remember to do it, and I don't even have to go a full 1/8". When I don't trim it, I just clear the mask every few minutes. I don't mind water in the mask so it's not an issue. When I'm working and need both hands, I'm in a FFM with comms.

I'll repeat what I said already many times: the mask leaks not because the water comes in under your nose, but because the air leaks somewhere at the top. If the air can't go out, the water can't come in. You do not have to shave anything, find your perfect mask instead. Or maybe cut your hair if it gets stuck under the mask.

I'll repeat what I said already many times: the mask leaks not because the water comes in under your nose, but because the air leaks somewhere at the top. If the air can't go out, the water can't come in. You do not have to shave anything, find your perfect mask instead. Or maybe cut your hair if it gets stuck under the mask.
Yes, if you keep your face upright all the time the air will keep water out. However, if you turn your head sideways or look down between your feet behind you, the mustache area will let air out. It doesn't leak much, but some air does get out that way and water works its way in.

Since I found a mask which really fits me, I don't have problems with leaking despite the moustache. I think, the right mask is the solution. For serious dives when I want to be absolutely sure, I shave a little stripe under the nose. It doesn't damage my looks and helps to keep the water out even more.

Yes, if you keep your face upright all the time the air will keep water out. However, if you turn your head sideways or look down between your feet behind you, the mustache area will let air out. It doesn't leak much, but some air does get out that way and water works its way in.
Some leak is inevitable with any mask. If you don't have to clean it more often than once in 5 min you are fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom