Marking your tanks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My issue with the skins is that they prevent a pre-fill visual once over of the cylinder's exterior. Which could also be argued for any stickers on the cylinder (including the visual sticker itself, some of which can be quite large).

I just write my last name with a sharpie just below the neck of the tank. I has lasted just fine for the last year and a half on my steels

Scubar:
I just write my last name with a sharpie just below the neck of the tank. I has lasted just fine for the last year and a half on my steels
Ditto, though I've had to re-apply the markings to my Faber after simple green/hot water/lotsa handling. Nothing phases sharpie markings on my galvanized steels, however. Even if you have to re-apply once a year or so - a buck +/- for a sharpie is cheap insurance.

Having tanks stolen is not that likely, but a mix-up at the fill station or while unloading the boat is both possible and probable. At a local dive site in Ohio (shall remain nameless) a guy (no, it wasn't me - mine have ALWAYS been marked) dropped his tanks off to be filled during his SI and they got confused with the store tanks and rented out to another customer. Luckily the situation was rectified after a bit of excitement on the part of the rightful owner but .... as I said - A sharpie is cheap!

carldarl:
Now how about smaller VIP stickers so I can be fashionable and color coordinated... :D

I'd be happy if they just kept them off the stamped markings.

Pete

PerroneFord:
I have no problem identifying my tanks.

carldarl:
With $300 invested in each steel tank, I kind of like the idea of identifying mine from the masses. So... my question is how do you (if you do) mark your tank to identify it? Since I can't dive for the next 3 months I may as well be doing something useful.

Carl

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Perrone, those are great looking cyber tanks.:D

I wrote my name in Japanese with a permanant marker. " ヨセフ " eyebrow

There is no doubt how to identify your tank.

dont know how you call this things in english correctly, but i have this set of letter "stencils" (which you use with a hammer to "bang" them in) and stencil my name in my tanks that way - hard to "scrape, pull or whatever" off.
dont worry about integrety of your tank, that anyway done when they "stamp" your tank for the next hydro date :wink:

I'm with MPR. I use rolls of reflective tape (Red & Silver). I started this when I heard of someone losing their pony on a dive trip when it fell overboard. It was black , and it wasn't found. I then heard a similar story but the tank was yellow, and it was found. Ever since, I have reflective tape on all my tanks just in case. And this is also a good way to identify them . You can find the tape in the auto accessories section in Wal-Mart.

I also use a sharpie, but only my name in small letters.

JRScuba:
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Perrone, those are great looking cyber tanks.:D

Isn't Photoshop amazing? ANYONE can look like a real diver. :wink:

The letters on my tanks are reflective 4" mailbox letters. On the bottom of the single 80 is a band of white reflective tape. In a dark cavern (or cave) when the light hits the letters, they glow very brightly. In daylight, the black on white letter pattern is very easy to see.

Might not stop a thief, but sure makes them easy to spot, and hard to mix-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom