Marking your tanks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
With $300 invested in each steel tank, I kind of like the idea of identifying mine from the masses. So... my question is how do you (if you do) mark your tank to identify it? Since I can't dive for the next 3 months I may as well be doing something useful.

Carl

How about scubahides?
http://www.scubahides.com/

I have my name printed on a sticker on mine, I guess you can scrape it off, but it will leave a mark, besides, when you go diving with 5 other people on the boat it leaves very little room for "mistakes"...

carldarl:
With $300 invested in each steel tank, I kind of like the idea of identifying mine from the masses. So... my question is how do you (if you do) mark your tank to identify it? Since I can't dive for the next 3 months I may as well be doing something useful.

Carl
Well, you definitely want to mark your cylinders in some way.

I wrote my initials on the crown of the cylinder with a paint pen. I have seen people with their full name or initials written on the side of the cylinder. With aluminum cylinders I also write my full name on the flat bottom (no boot) With steels it is usually not practical to write my name on the bottom. I also have written in my notes a separate sheet with the serial numbers of all of my cylinders (regulators too), this would serve to clarify any problems where my markings on the cylinder is not clear enough. For the price we pay for steel cylinders I really don't want there to be any problems regarding the ownership of MY cylinders.

Mark Vlahos

I have no problem identifying my tanks.

[/QUOTE]

carldarl:

Carl

Scuba hides are cool but I ran into one dive shop that said they had to remove them to do a visual. Maybe they know something I don't know but the next shop didn't mention removing them so they're either as dumb as me or know things the first shop doesn't know.

I just write my name on them these days and also of course record the serial numbers.

I mark mine with a colored marker on the valve, initials only for the most part.

The Vis would require removal of the hide, after all how can you check the condition of the outside if you can't see the outside of the cylinder.

I don't use stickers or other items like hides on my tanks so that it's safer from corrosion setting in. They claim on steel tanks it's more likely to occur, I don't know but I like to play it safe. Of course tank manufacturers place their stickers on them...

ScubaKimmie:
Scuba hides are cool but I ran into one dive shop that said they had to remove them to do a visual. Maybe they know something I don't know but the next shop didn't mention removing them so they're either as dumb as me or know things the first shop doesn't know.

I just write my name on them these days and also of course record the serial numbers.

They knew something you didn't. A proper well done visual requires the removal of ALL stickers, boots, nets, etc.

That's not to say that many shops don't...

carldarl:

Carl
Mark your initials in 3" block letters along the base, oriented so that they face out when you're wearing them and can be seen by other divers. Black stove paint is popular, use a stencil if you want to get the letters perfect.

If you want to put stickers on your tank, here are some that are both useful and satirically pointed. Otherwise, leave them bare.

The annual VIP isn't a good reason for leaving stickers off a tank - the fact stickers can cause/hide a lot of damage is. That's why VIP protocols call for removing them.

Go to a local Lowe's/Home Depot/Etc. and pick up a roll of fluorescent surveyors tape ($.99) and before the dive, wrap it a number of times around the top of the tank. It's plastic, so it will not interfere with the tank. Plus, it is inexpensive and you can easily remove it.
You may have seen similar situations with luggage at the airport.
I have used different colors with students before and it makes for great identification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom