Marking your tanks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking of adding this hidden message to the bottom of mine. It will only be visable to those it is directed at. As it will be hidden by the boot, unless looked at from directly behind no-one/thing will see it. I'm thinking by the time they get through laughing at me I'll be able to outswim them. :D :D :D

marking your tank would be a great thing to do. it would keep a dummy like me from strapping my rig up to it thinking it was the dive boats tank.

PerroneFord:
The letters on my tanks are reflective 4" mailbox letters. On the bottom of the single 80 is a band of white reflective tape. In a dark cavern (or cave) when the light hits the letters, they glow very brightly. In daylight, the black on white letter pattern is very easy to see.

Might not stop a thief, but sure makes them easy to spot, and hard to mix-up.

Looks like you had the family down there.eyebrow

PM me what you were doing in the picture.

I mark mine with my first name and the tank number in a permanent marker. Having something like "Carl #2" will alleviate any confusion - especially when disembarking. I've noticed that divers who rent their tanks have a tendency at the end of the boat day to pick up the first tank they see on the dock and put it into their car as they assume all tanks are going back to the same shop.

Like others I use a sharpy to mark my name on the top. It works well.
I don't dive air and find it a pain to write in each serial number when I'm logging the fill into the fill log.
I punched K-1 through K-6 as identification numbers on my tanks and it has made that task much easier.

Spend a couple bucks on a paint pen and draw a design around the top, all the way around. Works especially well on galvanized tanks. Just a simple, hand-drawn pattern, and there will be no confusion, especially if it circles the tank so it can be seen from any angle. I drew a simple ring of trapezoids in a blue paint pen around the top of mine, and it's really easy to spot at a glance now, and harder to dismiss, visually, than simple initials.

I have my name and number on the crown of one tank, but haven't personalized my doubles yet. Im not sure Im going to, I figure if I'm on a boat and someone tries to steel my tanks, Ill push them overboard and let them drown. If we're on land Ill let them run for a while and get really tired from lugging ~100lbs, then Ill go kick their @$$.

I work with Todd, the owner of Scuba Hides, he'll be tickled to know you guys are talking about his product. The graphics are inteded to last 2 to 3 years depending on how rough you are with your gear. Yes the scuba hide is to be removed every year at vis inspection. Simply slice the clear heat shrink tubing with a razor blade, he has extra heat shrink pieces for like 2 or 3 bux to reatach the graphics. I just bought my doubles and the day after I assemebled them Todd asked me to tear them apart and put on scuba hides so they look like a pair of batteries, get all kitted up so he can take a picture of me for advertisement...

There is aldo the option of visiting Scubacool at scubacool.co.uk or scubacool.com they have over 260 designs available as well as custom options and supply around the world. As they are not stickers when they are removed for inspection they can then be easily reapplied with the additional sleeve supplied with you purchase or you can order sleeves online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom