Approximate cost of Tank Tumbling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just took 2 steel tanks in to the shop for VIP (which is now $30 .... ripoff) and the shop says both tanks will need to be tumbled as well, which apparently costs $55/each. That price sounds high, but I've never needed tanks tumbled before. I may do some calling around tomorrow to see prices locally, but I wanted to hear what prices are like in your area.

At $110, I'm also thinking of going the DIY direction. Perhaps something like this? If I go the DIY route, I'd like to keep costs down as I'll likely maintain about 6 to 8 tanks, and only 2 steel. Perhaps something like this:

For media, do I use something like this? And would 10lbs be enough for 2 tanks?

And then what to do for the rinse? Hot-water, followed by blowing it out using another scuba-tank? Or should I use something like alcholol or this?

Reactions: OTF
Are trying to blast, or tumble?
Once you have the media, what are your plans to use it? Do you have a tumbler, or going to make one?
Does it really need a tumbling, or maybe just a little wire brush?

What's it look like on the inside? If just some surface rust (color), a whip may be the best course.

WRT tumbling media, you might want to see -

ne.

Are trying to blast, or tumble?
Once you have the media, what are your plans to use it? Do you have a tumbler, or going to make one?
Does it really need a tumbling, or maybe just a little wire brush?
What's it look like on the inside? If just some surface rust (color), a whip may be the best course.

WRT tumbling media, you might want to see -
I received a phone-message from the scuba-shop, claiming both tanks would fail VIP due to interior rust unless they were tumbled first costing $55/tank. I haven't seen the insides of the tank myself yet or called them back.

I don't know how I'd wire-brush the insides, unless that "whip" contraption is the same thing. What do I do with that whip-thing? Attach it to a drill, stick it inside, turn it on for some minutes? I assume I have to wash it out too after? If I tumble, I'd probably make something like OMyMyOHellYes built.

Is that "tumble juice" the same thing as tumble-media? Just pour some inside and roll for 30 minutes or so?

We charged $50 when I was doing it at a shop. May seem 'high', but there is a lot of fn around with it and if it requires to pull someone off the floor of a busy shop, it isnt much of a fee as far as the shop is concerned.

$30 for vip for the pair?...if so that's the going rate here.

Whats the history of the tanks?
The same shop that quoted you also fill these in the past?

Also, when taking tanks in for hydro or vip, drain them yourself and take a look inside before you bring them in. This way you will know what to expect and inquire about.

I do my own vips, but I will tumble / or whip them prior to hydro if needed. There is a lot info out there on this subject, to include SB.

There are quite a few threads about tank-cleaning on SB; one tip I picked up that sounds interesting is phosporic-acid-washing the inside of steel tanks rather than using tumbling media. Basically, you'd use a weak solution and roll the tanks for a while, then rinse them properly.

As for rollers, the one you linked to sounds like a good plan, but I bought a brass-tumbler from a shooting store. It's self-contained, has a timer, fits AL80 and larger tanks, and cost about $125.

Regarding taking the class as @grantcobin recommended, I have mixed feelings about tank-inspector classes. The PSI-PCI certification is useful, but the concepts are dead simple, the course materials suck, the in-class presentations mostly consist of horror stories, and they don't tell you up front that you're supposed to buy a crapload of expensive testing supplies. I'd recommend taking the course anyway, but go into the experience with open eyes and focus on taking away the "how-to" concepts.

OMyMyOHellYes just convinced me to sign up for the VIP course. I think it would be good to "know what I'm talking about" when it comes to tanks, VCIPs, etc, and the costs of maintaining tanks is becoming a bit silly.

We charged $50 when I was doing it at a shop. May seem 'high', but there is a lot of fn around with it and if it requires to pull someone off the floor of a busy shop, it isnt much of a fee as far as the shop is concerned.
Understood, I just was trying to figure out if that's a reasonable rate. It's hard to tell sometimes.
$30 for vip for the pair?...if so that's the going rate here.
$30 for each (one) tank. So $60 for a pair. Or if I brought in all 8 tanks, $240. Now, that does include a fill (which is $10 locally), so it's effectively $20 per-tank for the VIP itself (without fill)
Whats the history of the tanks
I purchased the tanks locally, and when I received them, they both at 3500 PSI of nitrox in them, and had a 2-year-old VIP sticker. OMyMyOHellYes mentioned high oxygen concentrations may cause some surface oxidation.
Also, when taking tanks in for hydro or vip, drain them yourself and take a look inside before you bring them in.
Lesson learned.
Basically, you'd use a weak solution and roll the tanks for a while, then rinse them properly.
That's what the "tumble juice" appears to be.
brass-tumbler from a shooting store.
Interesting. I haven't quite gotten into reloading just yet, but I intend to do that one day. It might make it dual purpose.

I have mixed feelings about tank-inspector classes. The PSI-PCI certification is useful,
That's the general impression I've gotten. Seems a bit ridiculous to charge $325 for, but that also seems to be the rate everywhere. Then they expect recertification every 3 years. Regardless, I sent in an email to a place that does online training to ask about the signup process.

Price seems a bit steep but maybe they pay their staff a decent wage.
As for needing the tumbling - I'll be blunt here: It sounds like you bought tanks out of Viz, took them in for a Viz, and got told they need a tumble? I don't doubt this, especially as you do not know where the last fill was from and how this person maintained their tanks. But my thoughts here are that it is flash rust (colour) and probably just need a quick whip, blowout or rinse, and then dry. Regardless, its an annoying little task that can take about 20 - 30 mins per tank depending on the process used.

Consider this: A viz of a tank takes me about 5-10 minutes and costs lets say, $25. Thus, the $55 is justified as the 30 minutes could have been spent vizing 3-6 tanks (depending on the number of tanks, type, ease of getting valve off, etc).

If this is a shop you go to regularly and trust, then fork out the $55/tank and get them tumbled. In all likelihood they wont need doing next time provided where you get your fills is up to date on its compressor maintenance.
Not been to this shop/don't trust them? Other places will appreciate your business.

In all honesty a shop is free to charge what they like (remember prices/taxes vary from place to place, so does wage, cost of living etc), so asking whether this is a fair price is a bit meh. If you don't like the shop price or service you're getting, I'm sure other shops would appreciate your business.

Sorry if this is blunt. LDS regularly get the hard end of the stick now online shopping is present.

Back
Top Bottom