Tumbling Media?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I picked up a few steel 72's for free. They had their last hydros in the 90's and the first one already passed a new hydro but it failed the VIP. Not surprising since it laid out in the guys backyard empty with the valve open. So now I want to tumble it. I'm going to build the stand out of Skateboard wheels and a slow motor. I'm planning on cleaning it out with dry air under pressure followed by a 90% Alcohol wash ventilated with a blower blowing hot air into the bottom of the tank for an hour or so to flush it all out.

What tumbling media does everybody use? I have a big blaster cabinet that uses Black Beauty abrasive. It's like silica sand but without the hazards. Can I use that for tumbling in a tank? Something else?

As an alternative to tumbling, has anybody ever abrasive blasted the inside of a tank? I was thinking about an extension for the nozzle on my sand blaster to reach down to the bottom of the tank and then work it up the sides.
Thanks

river pebbles that fit in the hole and blasting with a 90 degree nozzle for the sides is good

You will hear wildly different things and certain people swearing by one media or another. My answer to your situation would be: It probably doesn't matter at all.

Let me get this out of the way first, the commercial media is usually far superior. But that is really only of essence if it is used in a commercial setting, where time is valuable. I guess you do not care if your cylinder tumbles for an hour or four hours. Virtually everything that you will use is going to work, given the right amount of time.
I have used several tumbling "media" over the years and played around with them. From commercial media, to shattered tiles, small stones, small nuts and bolts and even a bucket of beach sand.

I did find that the right amount of tumbling media makes much more of a difference than what media is being used. The right amount depends on the cylinders inner diameter and the rotational speed of the tumbler.
In the best case scenario, your tumbling media starts to travel up the wall due to the rotation. Then comes crashing from the very top of the rotation and hits the bare lower part of the wall. This impact is what cleans the walls the fastest. Now if you have to much tumbling media inside, the media that falls from the top will not hit the bare wall, but just land on more tumbling media. If you have too little media in there, it will not travel up far enough on the wall. In either case, the cleaning is sub optimal.
The exact same is true for rotational speed. If it spins too fast, the media doesn't fall from the high point, but just spins around. If it's too slow, it won't travel up far enough to fall down satisfactory.
Sand works a little different, as it doesn't really travel up far enough to fall down. It works by scrapping over the walls, which is much slower. The end result with sand is a perfect mirror like surface, very satisfying! It is of course way over top and a waste of time...

I usually start with a little less tumbling media than what I think is the right amount. It is far easier to add tumbling media than remove some. I would also suggest to throw in a around a cup of hot water with some form of mild detergent- Dish-washing soap works a treat. Once you are done with the tumbling, remove the tumbling media and wash out your cylinder with a lot of fresh water. Do your last rinse with around half a liter of very hot water. For a perfect finish, immediately flush the whole cylinder with copious amounts of compressed, preferably breathing grade, air. Steel cylinders need to be dried as quickly as possible. Cutting the end of a low pressure hose attached to a first stage works great here. A slow drying process over a "fan-like" system will always lead to flash rust. While your alcohol idea will work well, it is over top here.

Sandblasting is a great option for those with the equipment. It is however no less messy.

The problem with tumbling as well as sandblasting is always going to be the dome of the cylinder. Tumbling has little chance of cleaning the dome properly and with sandblasting you will need to manufacturer a bend nozzle.
Tumbling is all but useless for the base of the cylinder. Your best bet is metal rod with a pencil brush at the bottom to clean the bottom without sandblasting.

I always preferred a flail to clean cylinders. This is orders of magnitude quicker and usually does the job good enough. Flails also have no problem getting the dome area cleaned up. Only when the cylinder is in really bad condition would I even entertain the idea of tumbling. I use it only when absolutely necessary. Cleaning up after the tumbling process is a bitch and removing the media always messy.

Regardless of what method of cleaning you use, make sure to protect the threads. A small piece of PVC pipe works great, so do the little plastic caps that new cylinders come with.

You will hear wildly different things and certain people swearing by one media or another. My answer to your situation would be: It probably doesn't matter at all.

Let me get this out of the way first, the commercial media is usually far superior. But that is really only of essence if it is used in a commercial setting, where time is valuable. I guess you do not care if your cylinder tumbles for an hour or four hours. Virtually everything that you will use is going to work, given the right amount of time.
I have used several tumbling "media" over the years and played around with them. From commercial media, to shattered tiles, small stones, small nuts and bolts and even a bucket of beach sand.

I did find that the right amount of tumbling media makes much more of a difference than what media is being used. The right amount depends on the cylinders inner diameter and the rotational speed of the tumbler.
In the best case scenario, your tumbling media starts to travel up the wall due to the rotation. Then comes crashing from the very top of the rotation and hits the bare lower part of the wall. This impact is what cleans the walls the fastest. Now if you have to much tumbling media inside, the media that falls from the top will not hit the bare wall, but just land on more tumbling media. If you have too little media in there, it will not travel up far enough on the wall. In either case, the cleaning is sub optimal.
The exact same is true for rotational speed. If it spins too fast, the media doesn't fall from the high point, but just spins around. If it's too slow, it won't travel up far enough to fall down satisfactory.
Sand works a little different, as it doesn't really travel up far enough to fall down. It works by scrapping over the walls, which is much slower. The end result with sand is a perfect mirror like surface, very satisfying! It is of course way over top and a waste of time...

I usually start with a little less tumbling media than what I think is the right amount. It is far easier to add tumbling media than remove some. I would also suggest to throw in a around a cup of hot water with some form of mild detergent- Dish-washing soap works a treat. Once you are done with the tumbling, remove the tumbling media and wash out your cylinder with a lot of fresh water. Do your last rinse with around half a liter of very hot water. For a perfect finish, immediately flush the whole cylinder with copious amounts of compressed, preferably breathing grade, air. Steel cylinders need to be dried as quickly as possible. Cutting the end of a low pressure hose attached to a first stage works great here. A slow drying process over a "fan-like" system will always lead to flash rust. While your alcohol idea will work well, it is over top here.

Sandblasting is a great option for those with the equipment. It is however no less messy.

The problem with tumbling as well as sandblasting is always going to be the dome of the cylinder. Tumbling has little chance of cleaning the dome properly and with sandblasting you will need to manufacturer a bend nozzle.
Tumbling is all but useless for the base of the cylinder. Your best bet is metal rod with a pencil brush at the bottom to clean the bottom without sandblasting.

I always preferred a flail to clean cylinders. This is orders of magnitude quicker and usually does the job good enough. Flails also have no problem getting the dome area cleaned up. Only when the cylinder is in really bad condition would I even entertain the idea of tumbling. I use it only when absolutely necessary. Cleaning up after the tumbling process is a bitch and removing the media always messy.

Regardless of what method of cleaning you use, make sure to protect the threads. A small piece of PVC pipe works great, so do the little plastic caps that new cylinders come with.
What he said.

I will add that throwing in some rust inhibitor (Global Compound O) during the tumble and after the rinse helps to keep flash rust down. I raise up the front of the tumbler about 6" for a portion of the tumble so the media really scours the bottom.

Flails and wire brushes on rods are great for the occasional job but if you do a lot of tanks, you wear out a lot of tools. I find it easier to load 'em up and spin them for a few hours or sometimes overnight.

If you are O2 cleaning as well, don't forget to scrub the threads with detergent (old tooth brush, brass brush etc.)

Black Beauty abrasive
That will work, it's just depends, on speed, goes in easy if its dry, if its wet probably not so much coming out.

I would probably just do it dry.

I use 1/4" SS punch outs, I find its less messy,
works well, just harder to get in and out,
And yes, i am trying to scrap the sides,
Also tilt the tumbler to get the top and bottom clean.

I also built a tumbler with skateboard wheels. I used an old treadmill for the motor. I always tumble dry as tumbling wet didnt give any better results but had more mess. Then rinse with the hottest water and then dry with tank air - never have any flash rust. O2 clean between tumble and rinse with stainless bearings as it was available and cheaper than other options at the time. For general tumbling media, my friend was building a house and I had tons of scrap lumber with nails in it. As I cleaned the lumber for other projects I used a jig and bolt cutter and built up a supply of cut up nails - about 1/2” pieces. They work great. I built a stand so I can tilt the tumbler to fully get the ends of the tanks.
Happy tumbling.

....In the best case scenario, your tumbling media starts to travel up the wall due to the rotation. Then comes crashing from the very top of the rotation and hits the bare lower part of the wall. This impact is what cleans the walls the fastest.
Hence,,,why tilted tumbling is not always the best. But 95% of tumblers I see are wet & tilted. There are so many better ways including chemicals.

Thanks for the info. At least I know I'm on the right track anyway. I think I'm going to tumble it dry with the Black Beauty abrasive. I have several hundred pounds of it in my shop because I used to own/operate a side business of refinishing firearms and gunsmithing before I retired for the last time.

I'm just not sure about the water rinse. How fast will the inside of the tank flash rust? I know when I was refinishing firearm parts, after abrasive blasting the metal parts were never even allowed to see water, much less take a bath in it because the metal would flash rust almost instantly. That's why I was leaning towards the alcohol wash.

Gymnastics press?

The sand type media won't do anything for you as there is no force making it work. Stainless cutters will work the fastest, but not really cost efficient for doing a couple of tanks.
Best bang for your buck in the US is harbor freight tumbling media. They are sharp and cheap. I normally get 10-20 tanks before the edges are smooth and it gets thrown out. Dump the whole bottle in your tank and tumble away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom