Marking AI Transmitters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two additional options with the Perdix...Add text to the startup screen and/or upload a custom startup image via the Shearwater Desktop application. Still have to turn the unit on, but both options are there without having to scroll through the menu options.

Text can be added but it is very generic and doesn't appear to be customizable.

A replacement image can be used instead of the default Perdix logo. 320x240 jpg and the screen is yours to use.

Once mounted on my first stage, I don't take it off. So, it's just a matter of knowing which reg set goes with which computer. Not a problem, for me. If you and your family members have identical reg sets and computers, it shouldn't be hard to do SOMETHING to distinguish them without needing to mark AI transmitters.
I do the same. We went with colored hoses to easily distinguish the otherwise identical regulators. If we somehow missed that, we might be better off reconsidering that day's dives.

We do write our names on everything including transmitters to avoid mixups with other divers on boats. I usually use a silver or black "regular" sharpie or oil based sharpie paint pen from michaels. The regular sharpie lasts longer, and silver is what we use on the black hard plastic transmitters. Paint pen goes on stuff where sharpie won't work well.

I also used a regular plastic label printer (cheap one from office supply store) to write "not a handle" in a way that would stand out to divemasters or others who might be tempted to lift the bc/tank by the transmitter. I've never actually had that happen but read a few horror stories on scubaboard and decided it was a good idea to add the label. The label stays on indefinitely but the text comes off the label about every 9 months or so.

Last edited:
A lot of good suggestions here but honestly, this should only be a problem if all of you have identical regulator setups, identical dive computers, and all pack your gear in the same bag. Even if you have identical regulator setups and identical dive computers, as long as each family member is maintaining and packing their own gear in their own dive bag, they should never get confused.

That being said, of all the suggestions, I like the paint pen idea. Each family member has their own paint pen color. Put a dot on the transmitter and a corresponding color dot on the back of the dive computer (preferably in a recessed area where it is less likely to get rubbed off). Then each family member keeps their paint pen in their own dive bag and is responsible for keeping their gear marked if the dot wears off.

I do the same. We went with colored hoses to easily distinguish the otherwise identical regulators.

Like this idea too. Another simple visual, especially since no color blindness for us to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom