Marking AI Transmitters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't need them on for pool training dives with students - wastes the battery

You have some other legit reasons, but about this one, just for one data point: My main Oceanic transmitter is now a little over 2 1/2 years old and has 140-something dives on it, plus however many pool sessions I have done in that time. It it still on the original battery and the transmitter battery status still shows as "Good" on my Atom computer.

At this point, I am continuing to use it just to see really how long it will go. I have a spare in my reg bag ready to go when it does finally show a status of "Low" - or die, of course.

I think the manual says the specs are "1 year or 300 dives" or something like that.

A little "real" nail polish remover aka acetone will take the silver sharpie off if you need a second chance at mastering your caligraphy.

I failed Kindergarten level art ;-) Acetone would not be enough to remove the scars.

Would be better to mark the battery door covers, which are easily replaceable/cheap, for resale :wink:

One thing about marking the battery covers is that it would be a good reminder to change the matching battery DC/AI as a set.

I don't understand the rationale for this thread. Is this about multiple transmitters for a single computer and keeping them straight? It is not hard to track your own reg set and transmitter and your own computer.

equipment management. My wife and I dive the same computer. When they come out of the soak, I'd rather not turn them on to figure out which one is mine.

I don't understand the rationale for this thread. Is this about multiple transmitters for a single computer and keeping them straight? It is not hard to track your own reg set and transmitter and your own computer.
4 different computers, 4 people, 6 transmitters available....

4 different computers, 4 people, 6 transmitters available....
Sorry, still don't get it. Everyone has their primary reg with transmitter and their own computer, that seems easy. Two more transmitters on ponies or deco tanks with your own regs, that's difficult to keep track of? Let's not make this overly complex

Sorry, still don't get it. Everyone has their primary reg with transmitter and their own computer, that seems easy. Two more transmitters on ponies or deco tanks with your own regs, that's difficult to keep track of? Let's not make this overly complex

In your opinion. I don't see why you need to be quite so negative about other people's decisions. This thread asked how you mark them which is a reasonable question. I'm disappointing in you Craig, you're better than that.

I personally have 3 transmitters (TX) and 5 reg sets, my wife a further 3 TX and 4 reg sets. Her's is easy, but I may may be doing different things, and just want to pick a TX out of a box and attach it to a reg set knowing which one is which when I configure it all up without having to pressurise each one etc.

You have some other legit reasons, but about this one, just for one data point: My main Oceanic transmitter is now a little over 2 1/2 years old and has 140-something dives on it, plus however many pool sessions I have done in that time. It it still on the original battery and the transmitter battery status still shows as "Good" on my Atom computer.

At this point, I am continuing to use it just to see really how long it will go. I have a spare in my reg bag ready to go when it does finally show a status of "Low" - or die, of course.

I think the manual says the specs are "1 year or 300 dives" or something like that.

Valid point Stuart.

We have battery issues here, not just me but others with different brands of transmitters too.

The manufacturers list the batters as you correctly point out at roughly 1-2yrs 200-300 dives. When you dig deeper they advise the max temps to be 30C (obviously allows for some discrepancy)

We see temps in the summer continuously above that - 50C (120F) isn't uncommon. This is measured in the shade. Given that transmitters are black I don't know what their internal temps will be.

Most of use here report reduced battery life. When a couple of manufacturers have questioned me, I've offered to host them and let them come dive here mid summer - they've all decline!!

As for the pool, I don't use my computer when training /teaching (I have a cheap waterproof watch for timing etc), so I don't bother putting a TX on my kit. There is a risk of damage, unnecessary exposure to heat etc etc.

I've just brought a dedicated pool kit (for use teaching classes as I want to keep my good stuff out of the pool) in our Eid Sale (I guess like your black Friday but it lasts for a week) I got an Apex XTX 50 set (1st and 2 x 2nd stages plus SPG) and Aqualung Axiom BCD all for $620 USD :) I have mounted the QD HP hose on it just in case I want to use the regs in the sea with my computer so being able to exchange TX is invaluable to me, however I see that for others it isn't an issue and I respect that

In your opinion. I don't see why you need to be quite so negative about other people's decisions. This thread asked how you mark them which is a reasonable question. I'm disappointing in you Craig, you're better than that.

I personally have 3 transmitters (TX) and 5 reg sets, my wife a further 3 TX and 4 reg sets. Her's is easy, but I may may be doing different things, and just want to pick a TX out of a box and attach it to a reg set knowing which one is which when I configure it all up without having to pressurise each one etc.

I have my opinion, you have yours. I'm not "disappointed" in folks with a different opinion than mine, just may not understand it. Perhaps some of it has to do with the type of transmitter one uses. I use Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitters that are permanently paired only with computers on which the transmitter serial number has been entered. There is never any syncing or other procedure to follow. Its pretty easy to keep the transmitters straight. I don't know the details of how other branded transmitters work, such as Suunto, Mares, Scubapro, and Liquivision.

Back
Top Bottom