Mares new limited edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from simply making cosmetic changes, some limited edition designs represent new technology that is gradually worked into the main industry. And there is plenty of innovation to be had in diving. For example, there are a couple things I expect to see in the next 5-15 years.

First, an optical-see-through heads up display. These are similar to the HUD systems on modern fighter jets and in those new Cadillacs and Corvettes. BTW, this was originally a limited edition option. Oceanic makes a HUD mask, but not see through. I expect optical-see-through masks within the next 5 years. I would imagine within 5 years of that someone will add an underwater camera which will eventually be used for optical recognition and marine ID. By this time the HUD should have decent resolution and be usable for more than just text displays. Eventually someone will add wireless networking and the fish ID will be uplinked to a central database tracking the sightings of various species. Well, now we are talking 10-15 years out. Oh, and all of these technologies are currently being designed for use on land. I know this because I have worked on them. I have actually seen each of these things work in pieces in our lab. So 15 is not an unreasonable time frame to see them starting to find their way into the water.

Second, I expect an auto-compensating BCD. You dial in a depth, it takes you there and keeps you there. Throw in some basic ballast controls to ensure the diver is always in the position they set, and you have a great toy. This would mostly be used by people that do not dive enough, or simply have to have the best toys. Given the development of the HUB, this could easily be Mares next move. Speaking of the HUB, I thought it was a very interesting idea for rec divers. It puts everything in one place, and makes it easy to carry around. The biggest problem with the HUB was marketing and price. If they made it modular and upgradable, it probably would have sold better. Then the diver could have bought it as a BCD first, and add on pieces later. Also, a model with back inflate would have been nice.

If Mares tries either of these things, it would be really cool. Of course, they could have another completely different idea that is even cooler. Even if it is just cosmetic, or a change in construction materials, any step towards innovation is a good one.

Finally, what is wrong with "style over substance." It has made many companies a lot of money, and I do not feel substance was compromised in most of those cases. Mostly it was "style over price." Which people are willing to pay for; see Apple, Nike, Starbucks, and Lowes. Of course, there will always be the Wal-Mart/Home Depot crowd (see DIR).

Note: Other than having visited Italy, once, I have no relation to Mares whatsoever. I have never worked for them, and I do not advocate their products. I have only used their products a couple of times. They were nice, nothing special, but nice.

gle:
Aside from simply making cosmetic changes, some limited edition designs represent new technology that is gradually worked into the main industry. And there is plenty of innovation to be had in diving. For example, there are a couple things I expect to see in the next 5-15 years.

First, an optical-see-through heads up display. These are similar to the HUD systems on modern fighter jets and in those new Cadillacs and Corvettes. BTW, this was originally a limited edition option. Oceanic makes a HUD mask, but not see through. I expect optical-see-through masks within the next 5 years. I would imagine within 5 years of that someone will add an underwater camera which will eventually be used for optical recognition and marine ID. By this time the HUD should have decent resolution and be usable for more than just text displays. Eventually someone will add wireless networking and the fish ID will be uplinked to a central database tracking the sightings of various species. Well, now we are talking 10-15 years out. Oh, and all of these technologies are currently being designed for use on land. I know this because I have worked on them. I have actually seen each of these things work in pieces in our lab. So 15 is not an unreasonable time frame to see them starting to find their way into the water.

Second, I expect an auto-compensating BCD. You dial in a depth, it takes you there and keeps you there. Throw in some basic ballast controls to ensure the diver is always in the position they set, and you have a great toy. This would mostly be used by people that do not dive enough, or simply have to have the best toys. Given the development of the HUB, this could easily be Mares next move. Speaking of the HUB, I thought it was a very interesting idea for rec divers. It puts everything in one place, and makes it easy to carry around. The biggest problem with the HUB was marketing and price. If they made it modular and upgradable, it probably would have sold better. Then the diver could have bought it as a BCD first, and add on pieces later. Also, a model with back inflate would have been nice.

If Mares tries either of these things, it would be really cool. Of course, they could have another completely different idea that is even cooler. Even if it is just cosmetic, or a change in construction materials, any step towards innovation is a good one.

Finally, what is wrong with "style over substance." It has made many companies a lot of money, and I do not feel substance was compromised in most of those cases. Mostly it was "style over price." Which people are willing to pay for; see Apple, Nike, Starbucks, and Lowes. Of course, there will always be the Wal-Mart/Home Depot crowd (see DIR).

Note: Other than having visited Italy, once, I have no relation to Mares whatsoever. I have never worked for them, and I do not advocate their products. I have only used their products a couple of times. They were nice, nothing special, but nice.
Good lord, I hope I never see any of these.

So, basically a bunch of gear that does nothing that a competent diver can do, and which serves as a crutch to an inexperienced diver, never challenging him/her to develop their skills to the very basic level of holding a depth. I also hope this product never comes about, because all it will result in is the above issues: incompetence and tech-dependance.

teknitroxdiver:
So, basically a bunch of gear that does nothing that a competent diver can do, and which serves as a crutch to an inexperienced diver, never challenging him/her to develop their skills to the very basic level of holding a depth. I also hope this product never comes about, because all it will result in is the above issues: incompetence and tech-dependance.
You mean just like every car driver in North America who uses Automatic transmission and cruise control? :D

Luddites,

Imagine a camera setup that is mounted on an auto-compensating bcd and monitored through your mask. You set it up, move off out of site, then snap wildlife that emerges. No more waiting hours for sea life to become accustomed to your presence. Or heck, mount the bcd to yourself. Monitor you gauges through your mask. Fish or snap shots from a fixed point in the water. Yeah it is a crutch, but imagine if a doctors said crutches encourage dependence, so nobody should be allowed to use them.

A HUD could have very visible alarms that there is no way you could miss. Imagine your entire world suddenly going red, then white, then back to normal, then red again. You would quickly get the idea. And you don't have to use the HUD just as a display for your dive computer. What if you could add 3D marine charts and fish sighting to your display. You could then feed in automatic direction, way points, and markers. They would appear before you, even if there was only 2" of vis.

And what is wrong with automatic transmissions? How else can you eat a McDonald's Big Mac, talk on your cellphone, keeps the kids in the back quite, and put on your makeup at the same time. :wink: (Note: I have never done this. I do have kids, wear makeup, or eat Big Macs. But, it can be very scary to look over at the car next to you at the stop light.)

In any case, this is the wrong forum for this discussion. Sorry I hijacked the thread. No more such OT posts from me (at least in this thread).

Dear all,
If I have to be honest with you I am a little disappointed in regards of where this conversation is going.
I was probably too naive to decide to get into a chat.
Since I joined this chat I just got attacked (except Wileediver) with so much anger !!!for thing I could not be responsible.It is just few months I work in this company and I want to do well and learn.I know that in the past we have made some mistakes and we can definitily do better, however, it takes time and it is very difficult to change a company in few months but I can assure you that both in the USA and in Europe we are trying hard.

The Limited Edition line is, I hope, the first sign of our tentative to change and also to focus more on the USA.
Thanks to everyone. Stefano

scubatoys:
You guys know my reputation on the board for being honest...

But talking to Phil was a breath of fresh air. We talked about a lot of items including the LE product... which I also am very looking forward to getting... will it be for everyone?? No... limited edition... get it? There is definitely some neat stuff there, and you'll be able to see it in about a month.

Larry—please answer this question: Is the Mares LE Metal product(s), in your honest opinion (and also as a diver), “totally new and revolutionary”?

:06:

Debraw:
March 5, 2005 is the date. Dealers around the world will unveil. If you can not make it to a local Elite Mares dealer then yes view it on Larry's webcam but you must touch it, hold it in your hand, and oh yes... fondle it. Will you be in?

Unfortunately, no. I’ll be swimming with the hammerheads in Layang Layang :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom