Question Working on your own kit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooo, ummm...back on topic...The DGX Gears D6 & BP/W is a good package to start with? Especially considering that I want to service my own stuff?
I may have put the cart before the horse, since you also asked about servicing, I mentioned that first. I will just say I've never been a big fan of buying anything as a package deal, because some folks use them as a way to sell less popular, less frequently purchased (or obsolete) items. If, OTOH, you've examined the combination being offered and like what you see, then go for it!
🐸

I wrote the D6 manual for DGX. I shot the photos, and those are my hands in them.
It's a solid reg and based on a proven design. It's not difficult to service.
With your background, you should have no trouble doing it. Just follow the steps and pay attention to the torque values. They are critical for proper operation.
And don't gloss over the prep for working on them. Cleanliness and organization are key.
You can probably use some of your current tools. Just make sure they are free of any lubricants, solvents, etc.

I may have put the cart before the horse, since you also asked about servicing, I mentioned that first. I will just say I've never been a big fan of buying anything as a package deal, because some folks use them as a way to sell less popular, less frequently purchased (or obsolete) items. If, OTOH, you've examined the combination being offered and like what you see, then go for it!
🐸
Generally, I agree with the sentiment about packages. But the cost/benefit balance on this one seems to be pretty good to me. As long as it's safe and reliable, I'm OK with a basic system that I can afford and learn how to work on them. The DGX Gears D6 package seems to do that, as long as the 1st stage is good. The 2nd stages seem to be pretty bulletproof.
The BP/W seems to be a pretty simple setup and can be configured to my preferences as I figure out what those are. The regs seem solid. The only variable would be going to the XTRA regs, with a piston first stage. Not sure what the differences are between the D6 and XTRA seconds, but the diaphragm vs piston seems to be a minor detail since I don't plan on diving cold waters.
Thanks!

I wrote the D6 manual for DGX. I shot the photos, and those are my hands in them.
It's a solid reg and based on a proven design. It's not difficult to service.
With your background, you should have no trouble doing it. Just follow the steps and pay attention to the torque values. They are critical for proper operation.
And don't gloss over the prep for working on them. Cleanliness and organization are key.
You can probably use some of your current tools. Just make sure they are free of any lubricants, solvents, etc.
Yeah, oxy safe lubes and tool procedures are part of the aviation world. I've done enough small work (ever tear into an original Browning A5 pattern shotgun? Total PITA...) to know about keeping your work area in good shape. Things bounce & disappear if you aren't careful!
Thanks!

Also an A&P and amateur gunsmith.

The difficulty of getting parts kits for Scubapro and AL and Apeks is often exaggerated. The "rule" against selling direct to customers is quite porous and only "enforced" in the US. Seems about everywhere I have been I can purchase parts including from what was nearly a temple to Scubapro parts in Dahab. AL has been making the same first stage since about 1966 and the internal parts are mostly the same despite efforts to make it all look different on the outside for decades and graphics changes on their seconds.

People tend to overbuy performance that is not needed and never utilized. A simple Mark 2 Evo really might never need an overhaul except to do it just because and a G250 "class" regulator is easy to service. Standardize regulators if parts kits are a problem so that when there is a willing source then stock up.

If I was to outfit seven divers for strictly recreational diving I would just grab some Scubapro Mark 2 (Evo) and R195/S270 seconds and move on.

Some of the "other" internet boutique brands are speced out to overseas box factories. They may be indeed fine value and especially if considered disposable. But if the front company selling them decides to go with box factory B after previously using box factory A then who knows if the quality or parts kits remains the same. Or whoever is operating the quality control input knob at the box factory forgets company A speced good quality and forgot to reset the knob from so-so or even junk quality that company B speced. I suppose just purchase enough service kits upfront to keep it all going for long enough to get the value. I guess I am old fashioned and basically distrust "spec" products sold under multiple brands as being long term wise choices. Long term being several decades possibly more.

I have a DGX 30 lb wing and I like it, when I use it that is, which has been not too much lately. I’ve been diving wingless for the past several months. With shallow urchin harvesting a wing only gets in the way and is just one more thing to clean with no added benefit. Just uneeded wear and tear.
I’m sure their plate is fine too since it’s a generic version of the same design concept as all the other similar plates. If I was to buy one of their regs it would probably be the Xtra piston reg.
I have a whole bunch of older scubapro and a few old conshelfs all with metal second stages that I use and I don’t really see a reason why I need to upgrade to something new. It all works just as good as the new stuff and I can’t tell the difference.
Getting parts for big name brand stuff is not that hard if you know where to go. Those that want to obtain parts will find a way.

Back
Top Bottom