Question Question about Low Volume (free-diver or spearfishing) masks and SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChangeAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Background. Finding a fitting mask is an absolute challenge for me. Let me explain. I broke my nose (and other parts of my skull) in a very serious car accident as a child (I was run over at high speed). They fixed a lot, but it is not perfect.

I also have a very high nose bridge. If you look at me from the side, you will see that the line from my forehead to the nose is more or less a straight line. I do not have what most folk have, a dent in the bridge between nose and forehead.

So, all masks push on the nose bridge and as such are not suitable. In the olden days masks where bigger as they are now, and I could always find one or two that fitted.

My old mask starts to give up (after 15 years) on me and is no longer being made. So, I was in a shop recently and they suggested I use a free diver mask. I tried one (Scubapro), but the manufacturer has on its website a note that it is not fit for SCUBA. However, it fitted and leaves millimetres of space on my nose, the bridge and the forehead. So, hope rises that I can find something.

Next shop had a Mares – Star. This fitted too. But I cannot find any information as to SCUBA diving with it and the shop did not know either. Does anybody out there know?

I see also that Mares makes other ones, like the Mares – Star LiquidSkin or the Mares – X-stream. I have not tried them on, but do you know that are ft for SCUBA? Or any other models/brands you know would work for SCUBA?

Thank you in advance for thinking with me, I look forward to your thoughts/advice/experience.

PS I have another post about this but this is the next step as I got new information, leading to the above question. For the sake of clarity and possible different readers I decided to make it a new question.

I have been using the same, very low volume freedive mask for scuba and snorkeling. There is no reason NOT to use a freedive mask for scuba, as long as it is comfortable, doesn't leak and provides relatively unrestricted vision.

Freedive masks might also provide some advantages over larger masks in that they provide less drag in strong currents (so they are less likely to be dislodged by current or a stray kick from a buddy. They are also easier to clear water from (due to the low volume), but these really are trivial.

I have been using the same, very low volume freedive mask for scuba and snorkeling. There is no reason NOT to use a freedive mask for scuba, as long as it is comfortable, doesn't leak and provides relatively unrestricted vision.

Freedive masks might also provide some advantages over larger masks in that they provide less drag in strong currents (so they are less likely to be dislodged by current or a stray kick from a buddy. They are also easier to clear water from (due to the low volume), but these really are trivial.
Thanks John for the heads-up and your experience

Free diving masks can be divided into two classes:
  • Those with a nose pocket : These are (also) Scuba masks.
  • Those without a nose pocket : These are not scuba masks. (standard scuba technique requires the nose pocket for mask equalization and clearing).

Free diving masks can be divided into two classes:
  • Those with a nose pocket : These are (also) Scuba masks.
  • Those without a nose pocket : These are not scuba masks. (standard scuba technique requires the nose pocket for mask equalization and clearing).
Thanks, logical I say. Any tips as to which ones are manufacturer approved for SCUBA? Did you use any for Scuba?

... So, all masks push on the nose bridge and as such are not suitable. In the olden days masks where bigger as they are now, and I could always find one or two that fitted. ...
Have you tried masks that use a single pane of glass? Old-school oval masks are still being manufactured, I think. Would this style work for you?

rx7diver

Have you tried masks that use a single pane of glass? Old-school oval masks are still being manufactured, I think. Would this style work for you?

rx7diver
My old mask was a single pane. And yes I am thinking of ne of the old round ones, like in the olden days when I started. They have their drawbacks so hence my search.

Thanks, logical I say. Any tips as to which ones are manufacturer approved for SCUBA? Did you use any for Scuba?

Yes, YES, YES!! I have already done that in your other thread:
My favorite mask right now is the Minimus Freedive Mask. It fits perfectly without leaking, it clears easily, a 2nd one fits easily in my pocket, and it is cheap enough to have a 3rd in my save-a-dive kit.

@MAKO Spearguns has a lot of great dual use scuba/freedive stuff.
The Minimus Freedive Mask IS a manufacturer approved for (and designed for) Scuba.

There are many others. The was the point of my earlier post. Almost all freediving masks with a nose pocket (and tempered glass) ARE SCUBA MASKS and designed for and manufacturer approved for SCUBA USE.

Is English a second language for you? You seem to be having trouble understanding most of the posts (not just mine) in both of your threads.

Yes, YES, YES!! I have already done that in your other thread:

The Minimus Freedive Mask IS a manufacturer approved for (and designed for) Scuba.

There are many others. The was the point of my earlier post. Almost all freediving masks with a nose pocket (and tempered glass) ARE SCUBA MASKS and designed for and manufacturer approved for SCUBA USE.

Is English a second language for you? You seem to be having trouble understanding most of the posts (not just mine) in both of your threads.
Nope understand it all and a form of English is my first language. Not sure why I create that impression and i apologies. Just like to get as much info as possible.

Nope understand it all and a form of English is my first language. Not sure why I create that impression and i apologies. Just like to get as much info as possible.
I say I have used a "freediving" mask for SCUBA, because it IS a SCUBA MASK, and you reply by asking if I have used it for scuba, etc., etc., repeatedly. And in more than one thread.

The same thing occurred in your responses to other posters.

I posted a link to the mask I use, and then you ask for pointers to a mask, etc. even quoting my post with the link.

Back
Top Bottom