Comparing Atomic Frameless 2 with other masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlovsky120

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I'm looking to buy Atomic Frameless 2, but I don't really have a way of trying one on before buying it. I did the best next thing and went to my local dive shop and tried on several masks that are available. Here are the ones I tried and how they fit:

Apeks VX1 - this one fit really nicely
Mares essence - the next best fit, after VX1

Aqualung technica - didn't fit as nicely as VX1, but it did fit
Mares X-Vision - similar to technica, fit, but not as well as VX1
Mares i3 - also fit okay, not as well as VX1

Aqualung plazma, it kinda fit okay, better than XDeep, but worse than all others
XDeep Fameless - this one was too big, it was too wide for my face

I'm curious about people who have tried some of these masks, as well as Frameless 2, so I can gauge if any size would fit and would small or medium be better (I'm fairly sure the large one would be too big).

The reason I'm so insistent on frameless 2 is because I have moustache and I read the it has one of the softest skirts. While I suspect I'll need some kind of cream to prevent leaks altogether, I'd hope that frameless 2 would provide me with the best baseline.

If I don't get any kind of at least somewhat conclusive response, I'll probably go with the VX1. But I'd still like to hear from you.
Thank you!

Not a fan of frameless masks...

@Karlovsky120

How did you determine fit?

Always go with what fits best. If something works, go with it.

I placed the mask on my face, making sure I place it right below the nose (and not to pull up any moustache hairs). I checked my hair wasn't stuck between the skirt and the face. I applied gentle pressure on the mask and inhaled through the nose. As I was inhaling, I checked if the mask was staying on without assistance of my hand. The ones I said fit the best stayed a moment even after I stopped inhaling. I could also feel if the air was streaming into the mask from any of the sides. I know it should really stick to your face, but with moustache you have to be a bit lenient with the results.

The lady at the dive shop also looked at the seal from the sides to see how it fit.

I placed the mask on my face, making sure I place it right below the nose (and not to pull up any moustache hairs). I checked my hair wasn't stuck between the skirt and the face. I applied gentle pressure on the mask and inhaled through the nose. As I was inhaling, I checked if the mask was staying on without assistance of my hand. The ones I said fit the best stayed a moment even after I stopped inhaling. I could also feel if the air was streaming into the mask from any of the sides. I know it should really stick to your face, but with moustache you have to be a bit lenient with the results.

The lady at the dive shop also looked at the seal from the sides to see how it fit.
Please see the link to the blog post and let me know if that makes sense or not. I can make poorly fitting masks pass the test you described, but I'm going to have continuous leaks underwater.

Ah, I see what you mean. ones upper lip might boulge while they have a regulator in their mouth and the mask that would otherwise fit could from cracks in the seam between the face and the skirt.

Yeah, I didn't really fit it as described in the blog post. Still, the VX1 felt pretty snug around my face and was quite high on the upper lip, so I hope the fit wouldn't change that much.

I've already been twice to the shop trying on masks, I don't really want to go pester them again. :D

I have it and been using it since August, around 35 dives. The comfort is excellent but the clarity of the glass is amazing. No other mask is quite like. Fits me well with mustache and slight beard.

Have you tried any of the other masks I mentioned? How did they fit?

No, my experience is mainly Scubapro frameless, D-mask and Mares masks (don't remember what models)

The Atomic Frameless fits similar to the Mares X Vision IMO. The original and still available Atomic Frameless is a better fit for most men and wider FOV that the Frameless II. I also use the one and only, the real deal, Scubapro Frameless. It has slightly less FOV but has more room for prescriptions lenses as it is a skosh further from my brow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom