Question Looking for a mask with loads of space for my high nasal bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He had one that fitted. Next, I checked on the internet site of the manufacturer if it is fit for SCUBA and they state that it is not fit for Scuba. But my hope rose…. So, the last shop had a different one that according to the manufacturer is fit for scuba.
How a free diving mask can be unfit for scuba?
A free diving mask has much higher requirements than scuba diving, technically.
The opposite is often true, many scuba diving masks are unfit for free diving, I never heard of a free diving mask unfit for scuba.
So it is probably just commercial nonsense.
Given the objective difficulty of finding a mask good for your face, I had immediately bought that free diving mask.

How a free diving mask can be unfit for scuba?
A free diving mask has much higher requirements than scuba diving, technically.
The opposite is often true, many scuba diving masks are unfit for free diving, I never heard of a free diving mask unfit for scuba.
So it is probably just commercial nonsense.
Given the objective difficulty of finding a mask good for your face, I had immediately bought that free diving mask.
I would think too that a free diver mask could do SCUBA. And agree a SCUBA mask might not be the best choice for free diving.

However, since having this information, and I wonder myself why I did not think of this before, I am doing some research. Now up to now I found only one manufacturer saying something about it. And I can only think that with this mask (it was originally sold as foldable but later they removed that) it is more than marketing. My suspicion is that they started leaking at the windows as the windows are moulded in and might be a kind of plastic as there is no mention of them being Tempered. I base that on the manufacturers information that they distort under pressure. Have a look here, there is a Note at the end.

I am now looking at other brands. Anybody out there have any experience with free dive mask in SCUBA?

I am now looking at other brands. Anybody out there have any experience with free dive mask in SCUBA?
My favorite mask right now is the Minimus Freedive Mask. It fits perfectly without leaking, it clears easily, a 2nd one fits easily in my pocket, and it is cheap enough to have a 3rd in my save-a-dive kit.

@MAKO Spearguns has a lot of great dual use scuba/freedive stuff.

My favorite mask right now is the Minimus Freedive Mask. It fits perfectly without leaking, it clears easily, a 2nd one fits easily in my pocket, and it is cheap enough to have a 3rd in my save-a-dive kit.

@MAKO Spearguns has a lot of great dual use scuba/freedive stuff.
Thanks L13. Is it correct you use it for SCUBA?

Thanks L13. Is it correct you use it for SCUBA?
Yes.

It IS a SCUBA mask as well as a FREEDIVE mask.

I know a number of other scuba divers that use it as well. If it fits your face, it is an ideal SCUBA mask meeting all the requirements for that purpose and having several advantages. It's low volume makes it easy to clear. It's compact size makes it great for cave and solo scuba divers to carry it as a backup. It's low cost makes it affordable to have a backup mask that matches my main mask. The only reason I know of not to use it as a scuba mask is that it might not fit your face.

I find it odd that you think that just attaching the word "freedive" to an object makes it less functional for scuba. They are not mutually exclusive. What feature about it do you think makes it questionable as a scuba mask?

I would think too that a free diver mask could do SCUBA. And agree a SCUBA mask might not be the best choice for free diving.

However, since having this information, and I wonder myself why I did not think of this before, I am doing some research. Now up to now I found only one manufacturer saying something about it. And I can only think that with this mask (it was originally sold as foldable but later they removed that) it is more than marketing. My suspicion is that they started leaking at the windows as the windows are moulded in and might be a kind of plastic as there is no mention of them being Tempered. I base that on the manufacturers information that they distort under pressure. Have a look here, there is a Note at the end.

A free diving mask from a quality manufacturer is going to have tempered glass. There will be a CE and Tempered inscribed on the lens. You are over thinking this. Yes, I have and do use free diving masks for scuba diving and low and behold for free diving as well. Free diving masks are intentionally very low volume. Considering your description of your face, bridge and accident, I would not have thought a free diving mask would be the solution for you due to their very low volume and therefore very close fit.

But yes, there is no reason that you cannot use a free diving mask for scuba diving if it fits you well and is comfortable in use and leakage is minimal.

You might try a Scubapro Gorilla Frameless or the standard Frameless. Also look at a Mares X-Vision.

What really is your motivation behind your two threads?

I find it odd that you think that just attaching the word "freedive" to an object makes it less functional for scuba. They are not mutually exclusive. What feature about it do you think makes it questionable as a scuba mask?
Because some manufacturers sate they are not fit for Scuba.

Because some manufacturers sate they are not fit for Scuba.
Can you provide a link to a manufacturer's description that specifically states that their free dive mask product is "not fit for scuba" please?

Reactions: L13
A free diving mask from a quality manufacturer is going to have tempered glass. There will be a CE and Tempered inscribed on the lens. You are over thinking this. Yes, I have and do use free diving masks for scuba diving and low and behold for free diving as well. Free diving masks are intentionally very low volume. Considering your description of your face, bridge and accident, I would not have thought a free diving mask would be the solution for you due to their very low volume and therefore very close fit.

I understand all that. I have been diving for over half a century. And interesting enough that is what I thought til I tried one yesterday in a shop. As described in the other thread.

But yes, there is no reason that you cannot use a free diving mask for scuba diving if it fits you well and is comfortable in use and leakage is minimal.

OK

You might try a Scubapro Gorilla Frameless or the standard Frameless. Also look at a Mares X-Vision.

No does not fit, hits my nose.

What really is your motivation behind your two threads?

As described in the other thread, there are manufacturers that say you cannot use them for SCUBA. Second, I have no well stocked shops anywhere near me. So, I will need to find out about some models, order them online and send the rejects back. I like to minimise that. Third I am here in new territory and why not use the experience of folk that did it already. I find that easier than experimenting.

And I will also have opticals glued into them, so I need to be 100% sure they work, as the opticals cost around 500. A lot of money indeed. And not a case where you quickly just by another mask. So thanks you to all for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom