Question Looking for a mask with loads of space for my high nasal bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you provide a link to a manufacturer's description that specifically states that their free dive mask product is "not fit for scuba" please?
Scubapro link and click on "Features", bottom bullet.

Scubapro link and click on "Features", bottom bullet.
Scubapro fully explained their recommendation for this particular Steel Comp mask as to why they do not think it suitable for scuba.

You aksed if other people use free diving masks and I answered, as have others, that they do indeed. And your response is "okay" ? I use the Omer Alien.

One thing, as noted in the Scubapro Steel Comp mask description is that some free diving masks are flexible (in the bridge) to allow the mask to mold to the face, basically wrap around the face for the most minimal volume possible. A two lens mask, as most free dive masks are, that is flexible in the bridge area (as the Steel Comp is) will place the lenses out of plane with each other. This might cause a scuba diver to see that effect. It makes my eyes cross and is difficult when I use my camera. Thus I choose masks, a free diving mask or not, that is not going to have the lenses out of plane.

So, yes, that is a difference with some free diving masks vs scuba masks. They are each optimized for the most important aspect of the sports. For scuba absolute minimal volume is not needed and for free diving and spear fishing ultra low volume is desirable. One of the ways free diving equipment manufacturers provide that ultra low volume is to make the masks flexible at the bridge. If that will bother you while scuba diving then, yes, you will need to look for a mask with a non-flexible frame. If it does not bother you, then scuba away with the Steel Comp.

I think you have some issues that are not going to be solved on an internet forum.

Good luck.

Scubapro fully explained their recommendation for this particular Steel Comp mask as to why they do not think it suitable for scuba.

You aksed if other people use free diving masks and I answered, as have others, that they do indeed. And your response is "okay" ? I use the Omer Alien.

One thing, as noted in the Scubapro Steel Comp mask description is that some free diving masks are flexible (in the bridge) to allow the mask to mold to the face, basically wrap around the face for the most minimal volume possible. A two lens mask, as most free dive masks are, that is flexible in the bridge area (as the Steel Comp is) will place the lenses out of plane with each other. This might cause a scuba diver to see that effect. It makes my eyes cross and is difficult when I use my camera. Thus I choose masks, a free diving mask or not, that is not going to have the lenses out of plane.

So, yes, that is a difference with some free diving masks vs scuba masks. They are each optimized for the most important aspect of the sports. For scuba absolute minimal volume is not needed and for free diving and spear fishing ultra low volume is desirable. One of the ways free diving equipment manufacturers provide that ultra low volume is to make the masks flexible at the bridge. If that will bother you while scuba diving then, yes, you will need to look for a mask with a non-flexible frame. If it does not bother you, then scuba away with the Steel Comp.

I think you have some issues that are not going to be solved on an internet forum.

Good luck.
Thanks Nemrod. I also think the Steel Comp does not have tempered glass lenses and this too contributes to the distortion.
And again i do not expect it to be solved here, I hope to gain knowledge. .

This thing that the mask flexes under pressure is true only if you do not equalise the mask!
If you use hands-free equalisation (BTV), as me, the mask is always perfectly equalised, so it will never flex.
And also people using other equalisation methods can keep their mask perfectly equalised, if they take care of it. As it is recommended, for avoiding a mask squeeze.

Thanks Nemrod. I also think the Steel Comp does not have tempered glass lenses and this too contributes to the distortion.
And again i do not expect it to be solved here, I hope to gain knowledge. .
Let me assure you that the Scubapro Steel Comp most definitely has tempered glass lenses. It is inscribed on the lens in the product photos. Yes, they are tempered ultra clear glass. Not cheap (green cast) float glass. This is Scubapro, not some off brand equipment manufacturer. Nor Mares or Cressi or AL or any of the other main line manufacturers who make quality equipment will market any type of mask without tempered glass.

Scubaprto is not going to make a mask without tempered glass lenses. Not in Europe, not in USA or any other place. Those lenses are CE approved and Tempered glass, absolutely. If you like that mask and can live with the flexible bridge, it is a perfectly acceptable scuba mask. I would not find it acceptable, but you may.

All spear fishing, free diving, snorkeling and all scuba diving masks I have seen in decades are tempered glass unless they are acrylic. Not all are ultra clear glass or optical coated glass but all are tempered and are safe to use.

This thing that the mask flexes under pressure is true only if you do not equalise the mask!
If you use hands-free equalisation (BTV), as me, the mask is always perfectly equalised, so it will never flex.
And also people using other equalisation methods can keep their mask perfectly equalised, if they take care of it. As it is recommended, for avoiding a mask squeeze.

I have seen the Steel Comp in person and while I have not used that particular mask I have tried several of the folding type and flexible two lens free diving masks (with no hard frame). They fold around my face. No amount of equalizing is going to stop that. The two lenses are not in the same plane. I agree you are absolutely on target that equalizing will minimize the effect.

The Steel Comp is super low volume. The lenses are right down on my eye lashes. Scubapro went all out to get the Steel Comp to the lowest possible volume for apnea diving and thus their recommendation to find a different mask from their line up for scuba.

But scroll down to the "Steel Pro" mask. It explicitly says it is "perfect" for both freediving and scuba diving. (as are "most" freediving masks with nose pockets)

The Steel Pro mask is a multi-purpose single lens low volume mask suitable for both scuba and apnea. It does not have a flexible bridge that will wrap or warp around face like the purpose built for apnea two lens Steel Comp ultra-low volume mask.

The Steel Pro mask is a multi-purpose single lens low volume mask suitable for both scuba and apnea. It does not have a flexible bridge that will wrap or warp around face like the purpose built for apnea two lens Steel Comp ultra-low volume mask.
Thanks. Doubt it with the low nose section. But will try it .

I appreciate the positive comments/recommendations for the MAKO Minimus mask. Just to clear up a few items in this discussion. It is true that a mask that flexes in the middle (and has two independent pieces of glass) will cause distortion due to the lenses no longer being coplanar (not flat).

This flex may allow a mask to be super low volume and the distortion is not an issue for competitive freedivers who are simply going up and down a line. This sort of distortion would not work for spearfishing or scuba diving and many people find it moderately annoying. This is exactly what happens with swim goggles.

However the MAKO Minimus mask, although it has two lenses, does NOT flex and does not cause visual distortion. Any sort of distortion would be disastrous for spearfisherman and a problem for scuba divers.

So just to be clear, we have many customers who use the Mini mask for scuba. It is one of the items on our Black Friday sale that is ongoing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom