Looking for new dive computer recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For AI shearwater is the way to go. It’s the most reliable on the market. I run the teric and it is super easy to navigate, even after not using it for awhile. If you shop around you can find good deals on them. I bought a demo unit that was only worn to the airport for a cancelled trip. So no dives on it. The demo unit and transmitter were under $1100.

Hi,

I tried to look through older threads but most of the ones that interested me hadn't been updated in two years. So sorry if this is a repeat...

I am looking to buy a new dive computer because my last (Oceanic Geo 2) broke. I loved my Geo especially with its aggressive DSAT formula on NDL time. This time though I am thinking to get an integrated air computer... I have been looking at the shearwater models. Anyone have any thoughts on that one or other dive computers? Best places to buy?

I have over 300 dives and often doing Nitrox. I haven't done any trimix or tech diving that I may be interested in that in a few years. I am looking for a computer that is #1) aggressive on NDL #2) Robust #3) Integrated air #4) Wrist (!)

Not as concerned with price if there is a very good chance of it lasting a long time and returning its value.

Algo-wise ...
Avoid: RGBM, SP modified algos, possibly Z+
Within cooee of each other: RGBM 2 / Tec / Fused, ZHL-16C, DSAT (latter not for tec / deco diving)

Of the top of my head that would leave EON Core or Steel, D5i, Teric, Perdix AI, Oceanic OCi (VTX is too old), Mares Genius, Liquivision Lynx , or wait for a Descent MK2 (ETA March). EDIT ... forgot Ratio.

D5's battery life is less than 1/2 of the Teric's (possibly closer to 1/3) between charges. So I'd pass on that alone.

Then do you prefer watch or a rectangular shape on your wrist ...

The Teric's screen is hard to say no to.

DGX seems to be a popular place to buy it.

I just bought a Teric. I wore both it and my old Cressi Leonardo on my recent LOB trip to Turks and Caicos, where I did 5 dives per day, many in excess of 100 feet. I used Nitrox. The first few days I was limited on dive time because of an air hog buddy. Once I switched, I was limited by my Cressi telling me a mere 40 minutes into my 4th dive of the day, when I'd already come up to the top of the wall at 40 feet, that I was almost out of NDL. My Teric said 99 minutes remaining. If you want aggressive, you want a Shearwater. Also the Teric is basically art. You'll love it.

I am looking to buy a new dive computer because my last (Oceanic Geo 2) broke. I loved my Geo especially with its aggressive DSAT formula on NDL time. This time though I am thinking to get an integrated air computer... I have been looking at the shearwater models. Anyone have any thoughts on that one or other dive computers? Best places to buy?
If you are looking at the Shearwater models, you are looking in the right place. I went from an Oceanic VT4.1 to a Perdix AI. The Oceanic still worked, but now have 3 divers in the family, so needed another computer.

The only question you have to ask yourself is Teric or Perdix AI. I don’t wear a watch, so the Teric didn’t offer much. Plus, I wasn’t sold on the Teric battery. Rechargeable in-case, but requires sending in for replacement when necessary. The Perdix can use pretty much any AA sized battery. I opted for the rechargeable Li-ion 3.7v, but many other batteries will work.

I was able to use the transmitter from my Oceanic with the Perdix, so that saved a bit of money. The Perdix is overkill for the type of diving I do, but their reputation sold me. Plus, when you think about it, homeless AI computers are expensive. Comparing features, the Shearwaters are competitively priced. Plus, it has a Rec mode that cleans up the display a bit.

Bluetooth download of dives is great. Downloading to Subsurface Mobile is great. Pulls the GPS coordinates, to the dive log. Beats pulling from my boat’s GPS after.

Oh, and DSAT is great for recreational profiles. Gives lots of bottom time. If you are currently logging your dives, you can see what the difference might be by loading them in Subsurface. SS analyzes the dives using Buhlmann ZHL-16C (or VPM), like the Shearwaters. You can then take a look at your dives done with the Geo and get a feel for what they might have looked if they were done with a Shearwater.

Whatever you end up getting, there are benefits to getting one with that uses the PPS transmitter since it has broader support. ScubaPro, Suunto, and Ratio use transmitters that will only work with their computers.

Hi @chaosparadigm

I'm an old guy, I have a slightly different perspective. 95% of my dives are no stop, 5% are light deco, generally less than 10 minutes. If you really intend to venture into technical diving, I would buy a technical computer, read that Perdix AI or Teric. I am still diving an AI Oceanic VT3 as my primary computer. I have about 1850 dives on DSAT, about 1450 on the VT3 in almost 10 years. I have been through several backups and learned from each. First was a Cochran EMC-14, one of the very few computers more liberal than DSAT. For many years I dived an Oceanic Geo 2, matched the VT3 perfectly. In 2016, I switched to a Dive Rite Nitek Q, to learn Buhlmann. Though actually, quite complex, 45/95 matches DSAT OK. Last May, I bought a Teric and run it off the same transmitter as my VT3. I love the Teric, particularly the SurfGF calculation. Unfortunately, my Teric has been repaired once and then replaced. I hope my current Teric is anywhere near as reliable as the VT3, we'll see.

The Oceanic OCi is probably a perfectly fine computer, I don't like the screw back as much as the back on the Geo 2/Atom 3. The OCi with transmitter will not save you much over a Shearwater and transmitter. The form factor may dictate you final choice. You will not find a more liberal computer than one running DSAT or Buhlmann with a relatively high GF high.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom