Local Man drowns at Jackson Blue Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Article follows
---
Panic led to diver’s death
March 7, 2007
(victim) took off gear, including his oxygen tank
By David Angier
MARIANNA
A Jackson County man died after abandoning his dive gear and trying to swim out of a submerged cave.
(victim), 48, of Marianna, drowned Monday evening when he was trapped in the Jackson Blue spring of Blue Springs Recreation Area in Jackson County.
Edd Sorenson, owner of Cave Adventurers in Marianna and an experienced cave diver, said Tuesday he thought he was going to be able to rescue (victim), but instead found evidence of a fatal panic. Sorenson arrived at the springs 12 minutes after the 9-1-1 call went out. He was in the water three minutes later and used a motorized scooter to reach (victim) as quickly as possible.
Sorenson said he was traveling through the crystal clear water of the main passage when he encountered a thick cloud of silt about 700 feet in. He said he took a side passage to the left and followed the silt to (victim)’s body, which was 70 feet down the side passage and 96 feet underwater.
Sorenson said (victim) had taken off his diving gear, including his tank, which still had oxygen.
He said Jackson Blue is a popular destination for cave divers. He said the walls are white limestone with unique formations. The water is clear with unlimited visibility and the main passage clearly is marked with a gold-colored guideline.
“Of course, the allure of cave diving is what’s around the next corner,” Sorenson said. “It’s usually a very safe cave dive.”
He said “99.9 percent” of fatal accidents in cave diving happen when a diver exceeds his training or capabilities.
“I would think that’s what happened here,” Sorenson said.
Jackson County Sheriff’s Office Maj. John Dennis said (victim) was not a certified cave diver. (victim) was certified to dive in open water and had 20 years of experience in that sport. His partner on this trip, (buddy), 58, had a basic cave-diving certification.
(buddy) told investigators (victim) got stuck in a narrow part of the side passage they had taken. (buddy) went to the surface to alert the authorities and a 9-1-1 call was placed.
Dennis said there have been a number of accidents in Blue Springs over the years, but he did not know a specific amount. The last fatality in the spring The News Herald reported was in 1999. Dennis said he thought there was another, more recent drowning.
He said (buddy) and (victim) had been diving in Blue Springs before.
“Basically, they went into the cave. Mr. (victim) became trapped in a small opening and drowned attempting to free himself,” Dennis said.
With the obvious exception of "oxygen" this pretty well sums this one up, I think.
Tragic; avoidable.
Rick​

wow.... 700 feet back in the system with no cave training ... went in with a cave certified buddy.... who survived

three cave deaths this year, in less than three months...

The fellow who works on my regulators is a man in his 70s. He told me one day, "I laid some of the original main line in Ginnie Springs, but they wouldn't let me dive there today. I'm not cave certified."

I'm not going to suggest that it's a great idea to cave dive without training. I'm certainly going to get the training, and I'm doing some serious homework beforehand, too. But I also think it's possible that someone could be mentored and learn from someone else who is skilled without having to do it through a class.

And it's been said by several that so far, there is no information that suggests that this guy's death was a result of inadequate or nonexistent training.

Would it have been more acceptable if it had been a fully trained, experienced cave diver who got stuck? It seems to me that stuck is stuck....whoever you are.

Judging from the original story......he was stuck....but had removed his doubles?????? Sounds to me like he was trying to get through a small opening that he couldn't make wearing his tanks, a la Chatterton on the U-869. That's not exactly an OW stunt 600ft back in a cave!!!!

do it easy:
I think there is a difference between pushing limits in a measured, calculated way (going to the moon or taking a class) and the Star Trek Tourist syndrome- to boldly go where everyone has gone before.

There was an excellent program on Apollo 8 on TV a couple nights ago. NASA engineers gave that mission a 50/50 chance of successful return. But we were behind the Russians and the risks were considered worth it.

For the deceased diver at JB, I don't have enough information to know if training was a factor. Its hard to believe he was ignorant of the risks. Ignored them yes, ignorant not likely - considering his full-cave buddy and years of experience.

I'm not sure more training was the answer here. Since the issue seems more one of self-control and discipline than actual training.

I don't know the victim, but from the reports I've read it appears he has been diving the 3 most popular systems in Marianna for several years. Cave training hasn't been around forever. Who's to say this guy didn't start cave diving back in the early days before cave training was available. If that's the case, would it be necessary to get "officially" trained?

I do know the buddy and don't think he would have done anything to endanger anyone. Also, I'm not sure about the statement that he had "a basic cave-diving certification". This guy dives scooters. The reporter could have gotten that part wrong. I don't know if he knew the victim didn't hold a cave card or not. It also appears they signed in at the sheriff's office. If so, why wasn't the cert checked there? If the victim didn't check in, then the only criminal act that occurred was trespassing on the park property, but only the victim would have been trespassing.

I'm not trying to be critical. I just want to point out what could be the other side of the story. We don't know exactly what happened. The rescue report also hasn't been posted on IUCRR yet either. Hopefully when it does get posted, it will list more information about the victim's experience.

My condolences to the family and buddy.

daniel f aleman:
kartsdvr, every post that you've made on this thread is accurate. Sometime crap just happens.

Yep,you are right. Sometimes there is fall out and negative consequences as a result.
Stay tuned......

You dont HAVE to check in with the Sherrif if you dont use the park. The spring is accessible by boat. Ive be about 1000ft back in JB, and theres plenty of places to get stuck in the side passages. However the lack of official training probably contributed to the panic. It does sound like the guy had some experience at least.

Dive-aholic:
I don't know the victim, but from the reports I've read it appears he has been diving the 3 most popular systems in Marianna for several years. Cave training hasn't been around forever. Who's to say this guy didn't start cave diving back in the early days before cave training was available. If that's the case, would it be necessary to get "officially" trained?

I do know the buddy and don't think he would have done anything to endanger anyone. Also, I'm not sure about the statement that he had "a basic cave-diving certification". This guy dives scooters. The reporter could have gotten that part wrong. I don't know if he knew the victim didn't hold a cave card or not. It also appears they signed in at the sheriff's office. If so, why wasn't the cert checked there? If the victim didn't check in, then the only criminal act that occurred was trespassing on the park property, but only the victim would have been trespassing.

I'm not trying to be critical. I just want to point out what could be the other side of the story. We don't know exactly what happened. The rescue report also hasn't been posted on IUCRR yet either. Hopefully when it does get posted, it will list more information about the victim's experience.

My condolences to the family and buddy.

Dive-aholic, thanks for a non-reactive point of view....... I too initially thought the way many have posted and I sincerely appreciate your comments. Condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom