Local Man drowns at Jackson Blue Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
I. I love the place.Hope I can always dive there.

This place has always had some turmoil,it would be nice if it continues,but accidents don't help

I am having a hard time imagining how he actually got stuck. At 600' in, JB is big enough for a school bus to turn around in. I guess he was poking in some crevices.

Edit: found more details, apparently they were off in some side passage.

You know, this may be a rather unpopular opinion and please don't flame me for it but perhaps his death had nothing to do with his lack of formal training. Just because he wasn't trained doesn't mean that's what killed him. Perhaps we just dismiss the accident as lack of training so we can distance ourselves from it- it couldn't happen to us; we're trained.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but pushing the limits is not per se a bad thing. What I read from the accident here is that the diver was not certified and seemed to have gotten away with diving caves that way for some time. That is not pushing limits, to me it is going beyond the limits.

Pushing limits has brought many great advances, taught us where the actual limits are. And we keep learning and adjusting. Pushing and stretching is sometimes the way forward withing the realm of understanding and experience. Without understanding and experience at the right levels (read here proper cave training) it is blatantly going beyond limits...... and that kills

It might be unpopular, but for every diver that dies, he is either trained or not. There is no doubt that training improves safety, but it in no way guarantees it.

Am I safer when I do a trimix dive that I have been trained to do versus when I do a cave dive that I am not trained to do? There are different risks and limits for the each type of training, or lack of. The prudent diver will understand and respect them, individually and in total.

I just don't think accident analysis should always stop at "wasn't trained". From the information available, nothing indicates training was actually the issue.

Sounds like he violated rule #7 - Don't get your *** stuck in a bad way.

Meng_Tze:
Pushing limits has brought many great advances, taught us where the actual limits are. And we keep learning and adjusting. Pushing and stretching is sometimes the way forward withing the realm of understanding and experience.

I guess I understand this.

karstdvr:
I guess I understand this.
I think there is a difference between pushing limits in a measured, calculated way (going to the moon or taking a class) and the Star Trek Tourist syndrome- to boldly go where everyone has gone before.

do it easy:
I think there is a difference between pushing limits in a measured, calculated way (going to the moon or taking a class) and the Star Trek Tourist syndrome- to boldly go where everyone has gone before.

Actually I understand the argument,I just don't agree with meng-tze rationalization. Personally nothing positive has come from pushing limits in cave diving,except the rules that we use because of the fatalities,but at what cost. The WKPP is seen as pushing the limits of extreme cave diving,but in reality they aren't pushing limits because they have so many safeties and so much support that they don't push limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom