Local Man drowns at Jackson Blue Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
First rule of cave diving: do not excede the boundaries of your training. We all know it, we all know why...

Actiually this is the first rule of the basic OW certificatiion. Or, I assume it is. Although more flowery words were used it certainly was part of the statement I signed when I was certified by NAUI.

ArcticDiver:
Actiually this is the first rule of the basic OW certificatiion. Or, I assume it is. Although more flowery words were used it certainly was part of the statement I signed when I was certified by NAUI.
Naw, the first rule of OW diving is "never hold your breath; always breathe." No need to change that one.
If you think about that, it covers having enough gas, not getting stuck, not having a heart attack... pretty much covers the waterfront, eh?
Rick

daniel f aleman:
First rule of cave diving: do not excede the boundaries of your training. We all know it, we all know why...
Yeah, like rick said. I think the first rule of cave diving is actually "Always have a continuous guideline to the surface."

jviehe:
Yeah, like rick said. I think the first rule of cave diving is actually "Always have a continuous guideline to the surface."

the first rule of cave diving is, you don't talk about cave diving

(sorry ... couldn't resist)

1. Be Trained for Cave Diving, and Remain Within the Limits of Your Training
2. Maintain a Continuous Guideline to the Cave Exit
3. Keep Two Thirds of Your Starting Gas Volume in Reserve to Exit the Cave
4: Remain Within the Safest Possible Operating Limits for Your Breathing Media
5: Use Three Sources of Light

Rick Murchison:
Naw, the first rule of OW diving is "never hold your breath; always breathe." No need to change that one.
If you think about that, it covers having enough gas, not getting stuck, not having a heart attack... pretty much covers the waterfront, eh?
Rick

:rofl3: Right On!

daniel f aleman:
1. Be Trained for Cave Diving, and Remain Within the Limits of Your Training

At one time there was no "cave diving" training, just as there was no "wreck" specialty.

I guess the first cave dive (or Wreck) "instructor" would have violated "Rule 1."

maj75:
At one time there was no "cave diving" training, just as there was no "wreck" specialty.

I guess the first cave dive (or Wreck) "instructor" would have violated "Rule 1."

there was also a pretty high fatality rate for cave divers while they figured out what worked and what got you killed, generaly in the 60's and up to the mid 70's

they then started teaching others how to stay alive (primarily Sheck Exley, through his book "Basic Cave Diving: A Blueprint for Survival.")

it would be foolish (and deadly) for anyone to forego the hard-earned experience inherent in cave training and go at it on their own ...

can it be done? yeah ... if you survive

is it wise?

ah .... sure...

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom